On Aug 17, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

> Can you recommend a book that best expresses this idea of vertical and
> horizontal development, lines of development, etc.?

It's something coined by Ken Wilber. I generally don't recommend his books, as
I don't find them real great "reads". But I believe it is mentioned in his
tape/CD series "Kosmic Consciousness" (and he mentions TM). Really, you can
probably find a lot about it on the web. He's talked a good deal about "uneven
development" in various spiritual "masters".

I used to share these videos on the topic (of uneven development), even though
it doesn't touch specifically on the concepts of horizontal and vertical
enlightenment, many found them helpful in understanding the idea of "taking the
perspective of the other" as an key part of expanded growth:

http://www.box.net/shared/etqoq2sa1b

http://www.box.net/shared/ugjxdpvoy4

http://www.box.net/shared/pyegit3n9q