The last time a Democrat sat in the White House, he faced a nonstop
witch hunt by his political opponents. Prominent figures on the right
accused Bill and Hillary Clinton of everything from drug smuggling to
murder.

"So what will happen if, as expected, Republicans win
control of the House?

"We already know part of the answer: POLITICO reports
that they're gearing up for a repeat performance of
the 1990s, with a "wave of committee investigations"
— several of them over supposed scandals that we
already know are completely phony.

**
POLITICO: GOP plans wave of White House probes

Republicans are planning a wave of committee
investigations targeting the White House and
Democratic allies if they win back the majority.

Everything from the microscopic
— the New Black Panther party —
to the massive –- think bailouts —
is on the GOP to-do list,
according to a half-dozen
Republican aides interviewed
by POLITICO.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41506.html
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41506.html>
**

"We can expect the G.O.P. to play chicken over the
federal budget, too; I'd put even odds on a 1995-type
government shutdown sometime over the next couple
of years.

"It will be an ugly scene, and it will be dangerous,
too. The 1990s were a time of peace and prosperity;
this is a time of neither. In particular, we're still
suffering the after-effects of the worst economic
crisis since the 1930s, and we can't afford to have a
federal government paralyzed by an opposition with no
interest in helping the president govern. But that's
what we're likely to get."

- - THE last time a Democrat sat in the White House, he faced a nonstop
witch hunt by his political opponents. Prominent figures on the right
accused Bill and Hillary Clinton of everything from drug smuggling to
murder.

And once Republicans took control of Congress, they subjected the
Clinton administration to unrelenting harassment — at one point
taking
140 hours of sworn testimony over accusations that the White House had
misused its Christmas card list.

Now it's happening again — except that this time it's even
worse. Let's
turn the floor over to Rush Limbaugh: "Imam Hussein Obama," he
recently
declared, is "probably the best anti-American president we've
ever had."

To get a sense of how much it matters when people like Mr. Limbaugh talk
like this, bear in mind that he's an utterly mainstream figure
within
the Republican Party; bear in mind, too, that unless something changes
the political dynamics, Republicans will soon control at least one house
of Congress. This is going to be very, very ugly.

So where is this rage coming from? Why is it flourishing? What will it
do to America?

Anyone who remembered the 1990s could have predicted something like the
current political craziness.

What we learned from the Clinton years is that a significant number of
Americans just don't consider government by liberals — even very
moderate liberals — legitimate. Mr. Obama's election would have
enraged
those people even if he were white. Of course, the fact that he
isn't,
and has an alien-sounding name, adds to the rage.

By the way, I'm not talking about the rage of the excluded and the
dispossessed: Tea Partiers are relatively affluent, and nobody is
angrier these days than the very, very rich.

Wall Street has turned on Mr. Obama with a vengeance: last month Steve
Schwarzman, the billionaire chairman of the Blackstone Group, the
private equity giant, compared proposals to end tax loopholes for hedge
fund managers with the Nazi invasion of Poland.

And powerful forces are promoting and exploiting this rage. Jane
Mayer's
new article in The New Yorker about the superrich Koch brothers and
their war against Mr. Obama has generated much-justified attention, but
as Ms. Mayer herself points out, only the scale of their effort is new:
billionaires like Richard Mellon Scaife waged a similar war against Bill
Clinton.

Meanwhile, the right-wing media are replaying their greatest hits.

In the 1990s, Mr. Limbaugh used innuendo to feed anti-Clinton mythology,
notably the insinuation that Hillary Clinton was complicit in the death
of Vince Foster.

Now, as we've just seen, he's doing his best to insinuate that
Mr. Obama
is a Muslim. Again, though, there's an extra level of craziness this
time around: Mr. Limbaugh is the same as he always was, but now seems
tame compared with Glenn Beck.

And where, in all of this, are the responsible Republicans, leaders who
will stand up and say that some partisans are going too far? Nowhere to
be found.

To take a prime example: the hysteria over the proposed Islamic center
in lower Manhattan almost makes one long for the days when former
President George W. Bush tried to soothe religious hatred, declaring
Islam a religion of peace. There were good reasons for his position:
there are a billion Muslims in the world, and America can't afford
make all of them its enemies.

But here's the thing: Mr. Bush is still around, as are many of his
former officials.

Where are the statements, from the former president or those in his
inner circle, preaching tolerance and denouncing anti-Islam hysteria? On
this issue, as on many others, the G.O.P. establishment is offering a
nearly uniform profile in cowardice.

[...]

If I were President Obama, I'd be doing all I could to head off this
prospect, offering some major new initiatives on the economic front in
particular, if only to shake up the political dynamic. But my guess is
that the president will continue to play it safe, all the way into
catastrophe.

- Paul Krugman
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/opinion/30krugman.html?_r=2&hp
<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/opinion/30krugman.html?_r=2&hp>