> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> <snip>
> > Yes, I think I understand what you are saying here -- you insist
> > that ignorance is real, not merely a belief -- but the
distinction
> > is still somewhat moot to me. I am not speaking of a casual
surface-
> > mind belief here, but rather the core-belief in self-other
> > separation, something believed with the entire (conscious)
bodymind.

> I think using the term "belief" muddles
> rather than clarifies.

I think perhaps *anything* I say is going to muddle rather than
clarify, so perhaps I should just wise up and shut up :-)

> <snip>
> > >
> > > It doesn't "deny" it, Rory.  The mind--the intellect--
> > > is designed to be *ignorant* of Perfection Now.
> >
> > Yes, I found that ignorance to be an active (albeit previously-
> > unconscious) denial or *ignoring* of Wholeness.
>
> That's what you find it *now*.  That is not
> what you found it *then*.

That was what I found -- in myself -- immediately upon "awakening,"
yes.

> > It
> > > cannot be any other way or it would be useless for
> > > physical survival.
> >
> > Interesting! Is that true? My understanding is the only thing it
> > was really concerned with was its own survival *as a separate
> > entity,* with the assumption of separation allowing it (in my
case)
> > to continually judge itself as better than/less than
the "other,"
> > etc.
>
> Yes, Rory, evolution operates on the level
> of biology.  Biologically, we're separate
> individuals, and our physical survival as
> individuals--and as a species, at least in
> a state of nature--requires a mental apparatus
> that is designed for making distinctions:
> this is a stick, that is a poisonous snake.
>
> Evolutionarily speaking, the mind was not designed
> to assist us in realizing Unity.  That we are
> capable of realizing Unity is a peculiar artefact
> of self-consciousness.

I think maybe our culture was not designed for it, as it has
actually been present "forever" (more obviously at some times than
others) and for lack of vocabulary and consensus and so on, it came
to be generally ignored (in this particular bodymind) until reading
the Upanishads reawoke it, and later TM reawoke it, and finally
ceasing TM and "acknowledging perfection now" stabilized it. I
apologize in advance for the serious inaccuracies this paragraph
embodies :-)

> It's not the case that the mind is lazy or naughty
> or malfunctioning when it defends itself.  It's
> working just as it was designed to work.
>
> > It did not prove to be necessary (in its old form) for physical
> > survival of the bodymind as US in perfection-now, at any rate.
>
> Think about it a little more.

I am sorry, I am no great thinker these days. I am only saying our
survival does *not now* depend on the intellect in its separatist
functioning; that we do not physically die when it ceases to
separate us from not-us. I am not saying everything becomes an
indistinguishible blob... most of the time :-)

> > > And I'd take a wild guess and say that the intellect
> > > continues to be ignorant of Perfection Now after
> > > realization as well.
> >
> > Maybe so. My understanding is that the old intellect virtually
> > disappears into something more like moment-to-moment intuition
or
> > appreciation of the continuously emerging miracle of here-now.
>
> Yeah, but it's still making distinctions.  The
> traffic light is green, the traffic light is red.
> This is a bottle of milk, this is a bottle of
> drain cleaner.

Absolutely. Unless we choose to shift the vibration out of this
particular movie, it keeps merrily running along, bless its heart :-)

> <snip>
> > > Maybe it awakens or stimulates some, but any
> > > such statements that don't begin, "I know this
> > > is not your current reality, but my reality is..."
> >
> > But you see, I *don't* know that this is not your current
reality,
> > other than by your telling me so. I am beginning to believe you,
> > though :-)
>
> Believe it.  That's what ignorance is, Rory.
> See?  You've forgotten.  You're ignorant of
> ignorance.

Absolutely - a memory of a memory and so on ... I am
basically "asleep" or "dreaming" in most of (my) creation, and there
is not much to really grab my attention until I stir and begin to
wake -- then the fun begins :-)