I just came back from a long walk, during which I was
pondering ROI -- a business term meaning Return On
Investment. It occurred to me during this pondering
that some of my greatest joys in life these days --
the things that bring me the greatest "return on my
investment" of time and energy and attention -- cost
me absolutely nothing in the first place.

One of these high-ROI activities this morning was the
joy of walking itself. The temperature today is 9
degrees Celsius (48 Fahrenheit), and the skies are
overcast but not rainy. In Spain, I would have called
today's weather dreary. But here, especially after
several weeks of snow and ice, it's like Spring. The
result? WAY high ROI -- zero investment, high return.

Another high ROI item I noted on this walk were on
my feet. Since moving here I've had occasion many
times now to wear my 20-year-old hiking boots. In
many ways, these boots represent possibly the highest
ROI I have ever received from an item I purchased.
They were made in Spain, by Vasques, and are heavy-
duty high mountaineering boots, waterproof and
with steel shanks to provide the extra support one
needs when carrying a heavy backpack. Even more
important for me, they have a high arch, which I
need to walk long distances comfortably. These
boots have been my fellow travelers on the paths
I have trod (literally) for 20 years, and they're
still hangin' in there. No appreciable wear on
the soles, very little deterioration on the linings.
Some craftsman in Spain put a great deal of care
into these boots 20+ years ago, hoping that they
would bring joy to some hiker who wore them. Today
as I walked I thanked him for the impeccability
of his craftsmanship and for his intent.

Based on things posted here, some seem to measure
the ROI Factor in their lives against Big Goals.
"Am I flying yet?" "Am I fully enlightened yet?"
"Did I and my fellow butt-bouncers humbly cause
world peace yet?"

Cool, if that's the sorta goal that appeals to you
and inspires you and brings you joy. I was once
like that myself. But I found that the drawback
of always measuring one's fulfillment against
Big Goals is that the "payoffs" (ROI) were few
and far between. How often, after all, do you get
to feel joy at realizing your enlightenment? :-)
These days I find my joy in the little things, like
a nice walk on a non-snowy day, while wearing a
pair of nicely-crafted boots. For some, this might
not seem like much of an accomplishment, or much
of a joy-causing event. For me, it works just fine.