--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > What is a desire without expectation?
> >
> ****
>
> A desire without expectation means dedication to work on the desire
> without expectation of outcome.
>
> I have intense desire to heal myself, but less attachment to the
> outcome. It is like enjoying the journey itself.
>
> Expectations are limiting because you cannot know the outcome.
> Expecting certain kind of outcome disturbs your walking attentively
> with open eyes. Your perception gets distorted and rigid.
> Especially healing means opening of new pathways and perceptions. You
> cannot know them in forward.
> It is tiny experiences of healing and aliveness in the present moment
> that gradually accumulates to results I don't know in forward.
>
> Irmeli

Thata a fine "rap" as unc would say. But it has little to do with the
question I posed in the original post (at end). Not to say that you
need to address my points -- you are free to go off on your own
thoughts and tangents. But you certainly did not address the central
point of my post, if thats what you intended to do.

I am not against giving up expectations in many contexts. I am asking
what remains of a desire if there is no expectation. Perhaps reread
what I wrote in the original post below.  A desire seems tied to some
thought of an outcome. If there is no thought of outcome, there is no
desire, there is only an impulse towards action.

If there is no expectation, it implies all outcomes are random. If so,
then what is the role of desire? If I "desire" to watch a DVD movie,
but if the action of opening the refrigerator, taking a nap or turning
on the DVD player all have the equal random probability of producing a
movie, then the link between desire and outcome is so weak, I hold one
would lose "desire". If I have no credible and repeatable way to "play
a movie", then why desire it. Its like a desire to be a trillionaire.
I have no credible way of becoming one, so the desire is not really
there. I have no credible way of dating Heather Graham, so I don't
really desire it. I have no credible way of becoming President of the
United States, at this point in my life, so I don't really desire it.

Beyond this theme, is another "absurdity" in the idea of "giving up
expectations" It can can go to abusrd levels if taken to all contexts.
If all actions and outcomes are just random, for example, if you walk
towards a wall, do you hold thre is an equal probability that you will
walk through it as  being "bumped" by it?

The very basis of rational thought, inquiry, scientific method and
understanding of nature is the systematic study of what outcomes occur
when particular actions are take. And the EXPECTATION that the
outcomes will repeat themselves when the action is repeated.

For example, when you turn on the light switch, do you not have an
expectation of light? I have this image, not of you, but the image
becomes comic, seeing a new-age, daffy type girl (Lisa Kudrow's
character Phoebe on "Friends" perhaps) turning on the lightswitch and
going, "well, what ever happens is total kewl. I don't really expect
the light to go on, or to stay off. I am just playing with the switch,
clicking it, another random act with any number of possible random
outcomes. la de da. The universe will do what the universe will do."
(well maybe thats a bit to involved for phoebe.)

So my thoughts are:

1) Giving up expectations for "uncontrollable" actions/outcomes is a
good thing.

2) When expectations are given up for actions that have uncontrollable
outcomes, then the ensuing link to desire is weakened and desire
shivels to an impotent form, or dissappears altogether.

3) The process of identifying the link between actions and outcomes,
and EXPECTING these "found" "dis" "covered" links to be repeateable,
and having an expectation they will repeatly occur when the causal
action is taken, is a good thing, and the basis of science and
technology.

What are your thoughts on such?

-------------------

What is a desire without expectation?

It seems, at best, to be a eunuch desire. Or a paraplaegic desire.

If there is no expectation, then there is no link between an impulse
towards action and its result. Desires in that context appear empty,
phantom, vacuous.

I am not questioning the beauty of letting go of expectations -- and
all of its offspring such as judgements. (How can you judge a person
if you have no expectations of their behavior?)

I don't see how desires exist (or last very long) without
expectations. Without expectation, what remains are impulses towards
activity. "Do that which ought to be done" captures part of that mode
but can imply a moral authority. Its more "Do that which ought to be
done -- the 'ought' not being dictated by some moral authority or
code, but from rational analysis, common sense and sometimes intuition."