--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > http://en.dou.us/view_content.php?s_id=44
> > >
> > > Chapter 3
> > > Methods of Meditation Practice
> > >
> > > Units in this Chapter
> >
> > "Chapter 3" and "Chapter 5" must be from different books.
>
> Yes, different books. Chapter 3 is from Meditation 1 (MD 101),
> Chapter 5 from Meditation 2 (MD 102).
>
> As the links from the above page don't work, I try a little
> bit of hacking, and yes here:
> http://en.dou.us/view_content.php?s_id=44&page=3

Thanks!

Interesting that the only non-Buddhist meditation
techniques they mention are "Yoga" and TM. (I put
"Yoga" in quotes because they seem to be describing
Hatha Yoga as meditation and don't mention any
specific yoga sitting-meditation techniques.)

> "TM: Transcendental Meditation (TM) was inaugurated in
> 1957 by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. To practice TM,
> practitioners silently repeat to themselves a secret,
> personal "mantra" until they attain relaxation  This is
> the way to still their mind. Each person's mantra is
> known only to themselves and their teacher."
>
> Not anything we wouldn't know already. In their
> definition sounds a lot like their own mantra meditation.

Not the most accurate description, but at least it isn't
grossly wrong...

> They obviously also allow different mantras to be used,
> but also use visualizations in combination with mantra
> meditation.
>
> But it's obvious, they might have got some ideas from TM.

Because more traditional Buddhist methods were thought to
be too difficult for the "masses," do you think?

> And they seem to be a lot more successful in their own
> country. I think meditation movements, which incorporate
> some of the TM ideas and marketing (anti-stress, relaxation,
> science, easiness) are most successful in their won
> countries, like SSRS is mostly successful with the Indian
> middle class. It simply is that people see it as part of
> their religion/heritage, and its adopted to the modern
> lifestyle. While in the west it's still seen as something
> foreign, dangerous.

Well, not so much any longer. The folks who think it's
"dangerous" are mostly fundamentalist religionists,
primarily Christian (at least in the U.S.). What's more
commonly seen as dangerous is an associated mass movement,
and then it's because the movement per is perceived to be
a cult. I don't think there are many who see Zen as
dangerous, for instance.

TM came close to becoming mainstream for awhile there.
But as you said in your exchange with me (I'm working on
a response to your latest, you lucky fellow), it got way
too crazy with the TM-Sidhis just at the point where plain-
vanilla TM was becoming accepted.

But the equivalent religious tradition in the West is
prayer. It just seems to be hard for Westerners to see
how similar prayer and Eastern-style meditation are, at
least functionally.

<snip>
> > > 1.    To repeat the mantra is to recollect in words
> > > a subtle sound arising from inside the mind.  This
> > > helps the mind not to wander and become still at the
> > > center of body.

Doesn't quite make the TM grade, does it?