On 02/12/2011 03:00 PM, wayback71 wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:
>
>> Gerald Celente predicts a total collapse and that we'll wind up with a
>> simpler way of living with locally grown food and locally manufactured
>> goods.
> Does Gerald have a time frame for this big collapse?  I checked out his
> website and could not find that.  I know James Kelleher (jyotishi) says there
> will be terrible trouble on the planet about 2020 - a hefty percentage of the
> population will die.

Dependent on the economy and dollar's demise.  2014 sticks in my mind
but he may be thinking sooner.  There are quite a few video interviews
with Celente on YouTube.  He's not an astrologer but watches trends and
gets a lot of things right.
> [...]
>> bazaars.  In order for this to happen the elite have to go bankrupt too
>> which would have happened two years ago had we not bailed out the
>> banks.  Things would have been rough for a while but not as bad as a
>> crash now.
> Simpler, you bet, but more than that.  People will eventually need to move,
> and be near water and soil that can grow food and living on high ground.
> And be part of a community that is organized and creates safety.  The
> Mitigation efforts (changing how we live so as to reduce climate change -
> reducing carbon emmissions, lifestyle changes) is now only one part of the
> issue.  The other is called Adaptation, which is figuring out how to live
> when the change hits, which it will.  Adaptation assumes there will be
> terrible and disruptive consequences from global warming and that we need to
> have really well-thought out plans - hopefully on a governmental level -to
> climate change. And Adaptation assumes that we need to get going on these
> plans now, as we do for Mitigation, of course.
>
> Until recently Adaptation talk was hated by environmentalists because there
> was a fear that the adaptation efforts would suck energy and interest from
> the need for mitigation, that people would skip the hard part of mitigation
> and move on to think of how they were going to adapt for themselves and their
> families.  Now most environmentalists are on board that both are needed and
> needed yesterday.
>
> The thing is, we aren't talking about 2100 any more, things are happening now
> and much faster than anyone had anticipated.  And when people start to "get
> it" - that the old days are over and we might not even make it as a species
> and this will likely happen in the lifetime of their children - I think there
> will be real pandemonium unless we feel understood by and confidence in
> something (government, community, what?).  The whole thing is a mess, and I
> try not to think or read about, but then get back into it.  Hot is a good
> book because at least so far it is not entirely doom and gloom - the author
> has ideas for adaptation.  He's the one who has dual citizenship for his
> daughter in The Netherlands so as to protect her life. He been a climate
> writer for 2 decades and knows his stuff.  Mark Hertsgaard. Lives in northern
> California, part of which he says will be flooded by sea level rises.
>
> The real scary stuff is the possible runaway events (one example is when
> permafrost melts and releases tons and tons or carbon and methane into the
> atmosphere and creates runway warming) - stuff like that.  Another example is
> when the ice sheets melt, the dark water will absorb much more  heat than the
> ice and snow (which reflected heat back and off the earth).  The warmed ocean
> water will change loads of events down stream, so to speak.
>
> Enough, this is becoming an obsession!!  Sorry if it is boring and depressing.

Probably would not be the first civilization to disappear in the cosmos
because of ignorance nor possibly even here on earth.  But maybe people
will wise up in time.