--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wgm4u" <wgm4u@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" do.rflex@ wrote:
>
> > Over time, organized labor managed to abolish child labor all
> > together, as well as institute an 8 hour work day, 40 hour work
> > week, mandatory breaks, safety guidelines, grievance procedures,
> > a minimum wage, the concept of a work free weekend, workers
> > comp, pensions, health safeguards, and paid sick days, vacation
> > days, and holidays.
> >
> > If you enjoy any of these things, thank a union member.
>

> I don't think *Public Unions* accomplished *ANY* of those things!!
Primarily it was *Private Unions* who did all of this years ago. All
public unions have done is benefit from it, they're phonies......

Why do you have such hostility toward public workers, BillyG? The
Wisconsin and Ohio public workers make far less than private workers of
the same educational level :

Wisconsin, Ohio public employees are not overpaid

Contrary to conventional wisdom that public employees across our nation
are collecting bigger paychecks than their counterparts in the private
sector, the Economic Policy Institute has found
<http://www.epi.org/economic_snapshots/entry/wisconsin_public_servants_a\
lready_face_a_compensation_penalty/>   quite the contrary. That's true
in Wisconsin and Ohio, which have  become the latest battle fronts in
the right-wing's 65-year-long effort  to gut the legal collective
bargaining rights of Americans that were  established after decades of
bloody struggle during the New Deal.

In Wisconsin, which has become a focal point in this debate, public
servants already take a pretty hefty pay cut just for the opportunity to
serve their communities ...

The figure below shows that when comparing  the total compensation
(which includes non-wage benefits such as health  care and pensions) of
workers with similar education, public-sector  workers consistently make
less than their private–sector peers.  Workers  with a
bachelor's degree or more—which constitute nearly 60% of the
state and local workforce in Wisconsin—are compensated between
$20,000  less (if they just have a bachelor's degree) to over
$82,000 a year less  (if they have a professional degree, such as in law
or medicine).

SEE GRAPH:
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/JacksonBrown/Economics/wisconsin\
_public_sector.jpg

   [Photobucket]

The deficit that Wisconsin faces is caused by the current  economic
downturn and the recent tax cut package.  It has nothing to do  with the
compensation of the people that educate our children, keep the  streets
safe and clean, keep dangerous chemicals out of our water, and  keep
insurance companies from taking advantage of us.  These public  servants
are already paid less than those in the private sector, and  nationally,
this gap has actually been increasing over the past few  decades ...
The situation in Ohio is quite similar. In a "rigorous analysis" of
full-time state and local government workers in Ohio, EPI found that
they are undercompensated by 6 percent. The analysts screened for
variables including hours of work, organizational size, gender, race,
ethnicity, experience, citizenship and disability.

Among EPI's findings:
• On an annual basis, full‐time state and local workers and
school employees are undercompensated by 6.0% in Ohio, in comparison
with otherwise similar private‐sector workers. When comparisons
are made  for differences in annual hours worked, the gap remains,
albeit at a  smaller percentage of 3.5%.
• Ohio public‐sector workers are more highly educated than
private‐sector workers; 49% of full‐ time
public‐sector workers hold at  least a four‐year college
degree, compared with 26% in the  private‐sector.

• Ohio's state and local governments and school districts pay
college‐educated workers 25% less in total compensation, on
average,  than private employers.

• In addition to having higher education levels, Ohio state and
local  government employees, on average, are also more experienced (23.2
years) than their private‐sector counterparts (21.7 years).
More here:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/02/21/947132/-Wisconsin,-Ohio-public-\
employees-are-not-overpaid