--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM, tartbrain<no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Spent yesterday in Boone, NC.  A very pleasant, scenic place.  The people
> > > saw and met (white, thankfully, unlike Charlotte's 30% of the population
> > > being slovenly and rude blacks) where the salt of the earth.  Friendly,
> > > honest, decent, unassuming.   Like FF, men did not wear saggers which
> > > exposed half the cracks of their asses, woman were dressed nicely but
> > > casually and were very pretty.   Ate at the Daniel Boone Inn, THE place
> > in
> > > town, which serves family style friend chicken and gravy, real mashed
> > > potatoes, stewed fresh apples, corn, green beans, country ham biscuits,
> > > Swiss Steak, Bing Cherry compote, biscuits, real butter, beverages and
> > > dessert, $16.95, cash only.
> >
> > Yes, but how much did the triple dose of emergency Lipitor -- needed to
> > prevent impending cardiac arrest -- cost?
> >

> I don't have cholesterol problems but I am still recovering from the
> extremely rich meal (real whipped cream covering the strawberry shortcake
> and heavy cream based ice cream for dessert).  I normally yet a less fatty
> diet.
>
> Strangely enough, I didn't see obesity.  Yes, a bit overweight, but not what
> I see in FF.  Or even amongst the Rajas.
>
> My working hypothesis is that a low fat, low sugar diet causes crazings
> which a high fat, high sugar diet does not cause, resulting in obesity.

I joke about the restaurant because I could almost smell and taste the lard
used in the pie crusts, biscuits, and the bacon or other drippings used in the
gravy, etc.

But I agree with the general theme that some food choices are more urban legend
than fact. For example, in looking through nutritional tables (the online USDA
Nutritional Database is great)  (and yes, scanning nutritional tables does
reflect on my "rich" social life) I observed that butter (and ghee) has "nly"
about three times the saturated fat as olive oil. I had used olive oil for
years based on the studies showing at least a high correlation with reduce
levels of cardiac problems - and that mono saturates such as olive oil reduce
the problems (counter to older studies and urban legends) associated with to
high an intake of polyunsaturates (aka Omega 6's, particularly when compared to
Omega 3's such as in flax seed).

I reasoned that that if I switched to ghee, I would use far less than 1/3 as
much of it as I did olive oil. Thus, lower total saturated fats from a ghee
only source of fat/oil in my diet. (And butter does not have the same fat
profile as fat from animal meats, it has less of the badder of saturated fat
components). And for salads, it was a bit of a pinch for a bit, but creative
use of salsas, herbs, and basalmic vinegar make some of the best salad
dressings I have had -- and they are essentially fat free.

So I use a sparing amount of ghee in cooking. It makes everything 10x more
delicious (and if ayurved is to believed, provides a superior delivery
mechanism for nutrients to the body), I have about half the saturated fat as
with (more copious use of ) olive oil, far less calories from fat, and I feel
better.

And to your point, a ghee diet is more satisfying. "Cravings" subtle and those
of more "blazing" have diminished. I am satisfied with smaller portions of good
food, and little or no need or taste for lesser foods.