> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<snip>
> > > did they cook up the story of Al Gore Junior's black Nanny who
> > > used to travel with the family by car from Tennessee to D.C.
> > > and when Al Gore Sr. would stop at Whites-only restaurants that
> > > the Nanny had to  stay behind in the car?  As she tells it, Jr.
> > > felt sorry for her and had to bring lunch out to her outside?
> >
> > I am not seeking to get in the middle of this debate.
>
> Me, either.  But misinformation *is* being slung by both
> egos in this debate.  I was raised in the Deep South during
> this period.  There were many restaurants that served both
> whites and blacks.  You could always tell them because
> they had four bathrooms (two each for white and "colored")
> and two water fountains.  There was a lot of racism, and
> there were a lot of people who weren't racist but who lived
> in a racist society.  No one today can really tell who was
> who, *especially* by what they *say*.

Unfortunately Barry isn't up on the facts here,
so *he's* slinging misinformation, along with
his usual illogic.

Nobody said, of course, that there were no restaurants
in the Deep South that served both whites and blacks.
Barry made that up.

What I've been citing is what the *Gores* have said
about their trips, confirmed by the very nanny who
had to eat in the car--which was that *on that route*
there were no such restaurants.

You could suggest that they all lied, but that's
quite a stretch, especially given the eagerness
with which the right wing jumped on the story to
"prove" Al Gore Sr. was a racist segregationist.

Had there been such restaurants along their route,
it would have been quite easy to make the story
even better proof by documenting their existence
to demonstrate that the Gores passed them by in
favor of whites-only restaurants, thereby labeling
the Gores not only as racists but as liars as well.

> But this "debate" isn't about facts.  It's about ego-dominance
> and attachment to being "right."

Actually Barry's comments are about *his* need for
ego-dominance.

> It *does* make catching up on the posts easier, however.
> Just look at the poster's name, and if it's either Shemp or
> Judy, just press 'Next.'  :-)

Which will guarantee you don't know what you're
talking about when you comment on the thread.