In a message dated 8/2/05 7:54:05 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I made many, many auto trips from Florida and Georgia
up to New England in my youth, because my father's folks
lived up there.  Encountering a segregated restaurant along
the way would have been a rarity.  Almost all were integrated.

By sometime in the fifties segregation was, for the most part, limited to the country club type establishments, where rich white folks didn't want to be around ANYBODY with less stature then themselves. Most places were integrating some faster than others, and some slower than others. Depending on when the Gores were traveling back and forth between Nashville and DC I find it hard to believe they couldn't find decent food establishments that would  accept Al's Mammie. Sounds more like they had a favorite place or two that were higher class and didn't allow "coloreds" and they told Mammie all the places were segregated and they had no choice. Al Gore Sr. I'm sure did some nice token things for black folks as even most segregationists would also do, after all he was in politics. But he was no Martin Luther King.