--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> > >
> > > There are a couple of very good musicians that play in the
> > > strip mall nearby. It is a shame they have to do this.  In
> > > better days they would have regular gigs at local clubs.
> >
> > Curtis might have a few words to say about this...
>
> Funny I almost responded but I know Bhairitu has plenty of
> experience in music. With the right spot and skill-set a
> busker can make much more than in a club without the drunks
> and the weirdness of club owners controlling your income.
> This is my 16th busking season and it gets better for me
> every year.
>
> If you have a financial interest in busking, rather than
> just a place to practice, you need to study it as a
> separate thing from performing your music.  You have to
> understand crowd psychology and enjoy that kind of
> interaction.  It isn't for everybody that's for sure.
> Many busking musicians just dig getting together to play
> in public and pooling enough money for beer and a burger
> after they play.

I used to belong to a small amateur chorus that got
together in each other's living rooms to sing early
Renaissance sacred music, in Latin, just for the joy
of it. (Nothing religious about it as far as we were
concerned; it's just gorgeous music.)

We'd periodically go out and sing on street corners,
in the park, in the subway. We didn't accept any
money. (Sometimes people would toss a dollar or two
on the ground in front of the chorus leader when they
didn't see a box or a hat to put it in, and he'd have
to run after them to give it back.)

It was more than enough reward just to see folks
enjoying the music, especially since it was a type of
music they didn't ordinarily hear, let alone expect
to hear on the street.

Granted, we didn't exactly have the option to sing in
clubs...