http://iconreader.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/resurrection2.jpg?w=296&h=\
450
<http://iconreader.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/resurrection2.jpg?w=296&h\
=450>

As in many Western paintings of the resurrection, Jesus is shown as a
three-dimensional man, somehow outside of the tomb and independent of
it.

In distinction from this Western theological model, the Orthodox
resurrection icons usually depict the risen Christ as a supra-cosmic
being who unlocks the prison of hell for all beings, frees the dead from
their tombs and bestows life everlasting -(theoria/contemplation/direct
seeing of God).

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" raviyogi@ wrote:
> >
> > Not too good at this, the only thing of significance is the 2
fingers
> raised upwards.
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" jstein@ wrote:
> <snip>
> > > But if you look closely, you'll see that the artist has rather
> > > ingeniously indicated that something extraordinary is taking
place.
> Can
> > > you see how he did it?
>
> He's coming out of the still-closed tomb right through the heavy stone
> lid. It's the only Resurrection painting I know of in which the lid
> hasn't been moved aside or taken off so he could get out the normal
way.

> I didn't spot this right away either; I looked at it several times
> before I noticed.
>
> merudanda and raunchy came very close, saying that one leg is still in
> the tomb, but I'm not sure they got that you can't see the leg because
> he's coming *through* the lid.
>
>   [File:Hans Multscher - Flügel-Innenseite des Wurzacher Altars
> (rechts unten) - Google Art Project.jpg]

<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Hans_Multscher_-_Fl%\
\

C3%BCgel-Innenseite_des_Wurzacher_Altars_%28rechts_unten%29_-_Google_Art\
\