--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@...> wrote:

> http://www.chakranews.com/sathya-sai-controversies-and-the-art-of-guru-bashing/1221

Sounds remarkably like some at FFL, doesn't it? The
bottom line is that nothing critical ever said about
a guru can ever be possible. It's all made up by
People With Agendas (otherwise known in psychology
as the ubiquitous "they" who are always persecuting
the paranoid). Pure, paranoid elitism.

What I consider much bigger and more interesting
questions are, "What is the nature of guru worship
in the first place? What makes it 'tick'?"

I find the same answer to both questions: elitism.

The bottom line of guru-worship is "Some people are
better than others." The corollary is, "Because I
am special enough and discerning enough to have found
a 'real' guru, that makes me better than others, too."

I don't buy it. Like Curtis, I have studied the theater
of spiritual practice, and know that about 95% of what
all seekers in history have "felt" from their gurus
was projected there, as the result of falling for cer-
tain verbal and visual cues (not to mention the occas-
ional parlor magic trick) that were intentionally
designed to inspire not only devotion, but unquestion-
ing devotion.

And that's fine (I guess) if you get off on such things.
Some people do. Me, not so much. Thus at this point in
my life I doubt that I would ever again swing behind
"studying with a teacher." Hanging out with a friend,
someone who has learned more things about certain sub-
jects than I have, no problem. But the key there is the
word "friend." There is not a popsicle's chance in hell
that I'd ever be interested in anyone who felt the need
to surround themselves with the pomp, circumstance, and
bad theater of, say, a Maharishi or a Rama or a Sai Baba
or an Amma, or most traditional teachers.

They, as I think Vaj pointed out about Amma, are about
recreating (or, probably more accurately, simulating)
the mythic stories of spiritual teachers from the past.
I'm just not into the past. I don't think it has all
that much to teach us, other than lessons learned from
the history of it all. I don't buy that people in the
so-called "Vedic era" knew more than we do. I don't
buy that the things they wrote down in books were some-
how "cognized" or "dictated by God." The guys and gals
of the past were IMO just guys and gals. Their opinions
may be interesting from a voyeuristic historical point
of view, but that's what they were, opinions. IMO there
ain't an ounce of "Truth" in their dead words on dead
pages (or anywhere else for that matter), so I'm just
not into reading them endlessly trying to project some
kind of "meaning" into them that may or may not be
there.

I'm into the tantra of daily life. I am not wowed by
miracles (having seen many of them), nor by shakti
(having experienced a lot of it). To me these are cheap
thrills that are pleasant enough at the time but don't
do much for a seeker in the long run IMO. The "lasting"
stuff comes IMO from one's *own* meditations and exper-
iences, not from the latest traveling guru show.

I *understand* that some are "sold out" to this notion
that some people are "better" than they are, and that
the only way they can achieve this "betterness" them-
selves is to glom onto someone who they believe has it
and do everything they say. And I *understand* that there
is a great comfort in abdicating the responsibility for
one's own spiritual advancement like this, and turning
it over to someone else. It's just that I don't groove
that way. I'm more of a spiritual DIY-er. I walk my own
path, and don't particularly feel that I need a "guide"
to tell me where it leads. I don't *care* where it leads.
My path is goal-less; I walk it because the walking is
fun, and almost always entertaining.

All of this said, I have no problem with others glomming
onto whatever spiritual teachers they want, for whatever
reasons they tell themselves and others they do it. Have
fun, and I wish you a fine ride. But don't come around
assigning nefarious motives to me if I criticize those
teachers. That's just cult paranoia, and makes *you*
look stupid.

There was no organized "anti Sai movement," just as there
was never any organized "anti TM movement." It was (and
is) a few individuals who have opinions, and state them
publicly. Trying to make them into something more is
just one more ego-bound exercise in cult paranoia and
self importance IMO.