This esoteric experience of burning karma is, in fact, related to a
little known Jewish technique of burning your kishka's out. For those
who don't know, a kishka, in one definition, simply means,
"intestine." A more modern interpretion relates to heartburn.

Himey Yonkel says that the first known experience of having your
kishka burned out was the first day Katz's Deli, on Delancey Street in
Manhattan, opened. The first customer ordered a pastrami sandwich, sat
down, took a bite, swallowed, his face beamed and he cried out, "This
is heavenly!"

However, about an hour later, he was walking down Broadway, near 39th
Street, in the garment district, when he cried out, "My kishka's are
killing me" then he belched and the people three deep away from him
could be heard saying, "It smells like pastrami around here."

Since then many millions of native New Yorkers as well as tourists
regularly participate in this ancient tribal rite of having their
kishka's burned out.