--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Fischer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > The subject heading chosen by this poster, "Donate Money for
Peace
> > Palaces" is interesting, because in the press release there is
not a
> > single
> > request for donations. Not one. I guess people see and read what
they
> > want
> > to read.
>
> I noticed the same thing.
>
> "A man only hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
> Paul Simon
>
> In Scientology we have something called an "obnosis" (observing
the
> obvious) drill.  When you look at something, you have to tell the
other
> person what you see. "I see her left ear"  will be flunked when
what is
> really "seen" is an ear lobe due to the fact that the "rest of the
ear"
> is actually covered by hair.  Interesting drill to do and to
coach.  We
> all "see" lots of stuff that isn't really there.

Are you familiar with Eprime?  I am familiar with it only from what
a friend of mine has told me about it, but it reminds me a bit of
your "obnosis".

As I understand it, eprime is a way of speaking that eliminates the
word "is" because -- like your illustration of the ear lobe and the
ear -- it is inaccurate for anyone to claim that something "is" when
all they are doing is observing something and can't claim to know
the reality.

For example, I see my drinking cup on the desk in front of my
computer.  According to my understanding of Eprime, it is incorrect
for me to say "the cup in on the table" but correct to say "the cup
appears in my vision resting on the table".

Eprime and "obnosis" reminds me of the accuracy with which lawyers
require language to be when people are on the witness stand which
disallows things like hearsay or what appears to be "expert
testimony" from a layman.