--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "richardnelson108" <richardnelson108@>
> wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
> > You, on the other hand, have this buring desire to make him the devil, even
> > though you say you have "transcended" your TM practice.
> > Don't you have anything better to do with your time?
> >

> I believe Vaj's contributions here are more sincere than that.  If you accept
> the premise that there really IS a tradition of knowledge of yoga, and if you
> believe that Maharishi has corrupted it, then it all makes sense why Vaj
> would care.  It comes from taking the knowledge very seriously.
>
> When we were all earnest TM teachers in the centers, if we had heard some guy
> was skipping the puja and selling TM mantras we would be incensed to our
> bones. We would be motivated to expose the person as a fraud and we would
> consider it our duty for the sake of the innocent public who was getting
> ripped off according to our POV.
>
> I don't share a confidence in whatever traditions of yoga Vaj is into, but I
> at least give him credit for being really into it and experiencing something
> that was compelling enough for him to come to the conclusions he has about
> the problems with Maharishi as a teacher and the limitations of TM as a
> practice.
>
> I started thinking of posting something with the whole rap about the Ayur
> vedic doctor who Vaj said was unhappy with Maharishi and Richard said was
> still very much into him.  Having had a front row seat for the contentious
> relationship between Maharishi and Triguna I find both POVs to be credible
> and non contradictory.  Maharishi was a hard-ball guy but he had resources
> that these guys wanted.  So depending on what day you spoke to Triguna you
> might get the perspective that he was furious that his services were being
> charged for in DC in contradiction to the Charaka Samhita.  (Or maybe he was
> pissed because he didn't get a cut but only sold the medicines.)  Or you
> might get a whole flowery speech about what a great guy Maharishi was and how
> wonderful it was that he was bringing Ayur Veda to the world.  Same thing
> with Dr. Lad who was salty about Maharishi using his materials without
> recognition after he refused to participate with Maharishi's proprietary
> program.
>
> And then throw in a whole heap of Indian's tendency to piss and moan like
> drama queens about everything.
>
> So I don't get the impression that Richard is some one-dimentional TB, he
> seems sincere and has added a lot to this discussion from his experience.
> And I feel the same way about Vaj.  Because you both care about these topics,
> it makes the discussions more interesting for me.
>
>   Thanks Curtis for your comments.
As I ahve said, I am not a TB.  I have left the movement 30 years ago because
of policies that I disagreed with, which were put in place by MMY.  If I was a
TB, as Vaj likes to say I am, I would have stayed.
And I agree that if Vaj was coming from the place of trying to tell the "true"
story of MMY and saving us all from the perils of being in a cult, I would
appreciate that.  But it seems to me that if anyone is the TB for anti TM, it
is him.  He does not want to discuss or debate.  He just wants to put down MMY
and anything that has to do with him.  Not my position at all.  For example, I
have read Judith's book and assuming she is telling the truth, then MMY had a
sleeze bucket side.  I will be the first to admit it. Also, we all know how
controlling he could be about many things.  So I am simply trying to present
the positive sides of the stories when Vaj brings up the negative.
He reminds of something that Deepak said to me.
He was talking about the TM-Ex people who used to carry protest signs outside
of courses going on in Washington, DC in the 80's.
He said "a fanatic will always be a fanatic.  When they were in TM, they were
fanatics for it.  Then when they left, they are fanatics against it."