Poison is the favorite method of killing gurus of opposing sampradaya-s
or even another guru within the same sampradaya. It is usually slipped
into the food while the cook is being distracted by another person and
is carefully measured.

By Milarepa's time it has spread to Tibet also. If you have ever read
his biography you'll remember that he was poisoned.