I was unaware of this, but not terribly surprised. So we ended up with a large
guaranteed market for the insurance companies and mandatory fines for personal
non-compliance. Quite a bait and switch. My personal theory is that someone
pulled Obama aside after all of the rousing rhetoric during the campaign, and
said, listen bub, if you want to be more than a one term president, play ball.
And he has.