on 8/5/05 4:27 PM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My own theory? Assuming that MMY was "off the program" with some lady
> or ladies at some point, he later had pangs of guilt that he
> projected on everyone else...
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Maharishi's absence of celibacy vows may absolve
>> him of accusations of hypocrisy, but it makes one
>> wonder why he asked people in his organization
>> to abstain from sex. The most unsavory explanation
>> is that he did it to wield power over them. The best
>> case scenario, I suppose, is that for those people at
>> that time, celibacy was a good thing.
>>
>> Maybe Rick can find time to poll people who abstained
>> to get their perspectives on the experience.

Anyone can start a poll, but I'm convinced that celibacy has been very good
for me. I think I needed it to compensate for my youthful excesses. I don't
have a problem if Maharishi was having sex and encouraging me not to. My
problem is in understanding why he'd want to. I understand personal needs
and all that, but my conception of him was that he was above them. Or that
even if he weren't, that he would have had the yogic ability to sublimate
his desires, if for no other reason than to avoid the potentially
catastrophic effect on his movement should his sexual activities be publicly
exposed. That often came close to happening, and his response was to banish
and discredit those responsible. Was that fair to them?