--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@...> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 5:25 AM, wayback71 wrote:
>
> > Any good reading suggestions for the summer - fiction or non?
>
> I'm reading Middlemarch right now, and so far it's been well
> worth the (relatively minor) effort it takes to slog through
> the local politics of the time in order to get to the wonderful
> story that she sets you up for. I also just finished Unbroken
> by Laura Hillenbrand and loved it~~reads like a novel even though
> it's not.  I also downloaded a sample of The
> Help on my kindle, and while it didn't do much for me lots of
> others seem to love it.  Cutting For Stone, Half-Broke Horses,
> and the Lincoln Lawyer have all gotten excellent reviews.  The
> Last Of Her Kind, which came out about 5 years ago, is one of
> the best recent novels I've ever read.
>
> Sal

Thanks, I liked Unbroken, too, a real eye opener about Japanese camps.  I will
do Middlemarch (love that language - it slows you down and sts a pace that is
luxurious) and Last of her Kind.

I just finished Room by Emma Donoghue - about a young woman kidnapped as a 19
year old and kept in a soundproof shed. She gets pregnant and has a child and
they live in the Room. Strange story.  Also Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the
Goon Squad - not great but interesting- lots about the music of the 70's and
80's since one of the main characters becomes a record producer.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is amazing.