--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

> Ayahuasca as a neuro-toxin, anybody have experience with this?
> We've been running into people with this.  They've tried
> ayahuasca hoping for spiritual experience and have instead fried
> their nervous systems.

Where did they get the ayahuasca? There apparently are
a lot of fake versions available, and these may contain
contaminants.

> Wondering, is neuro-damage also become a public health
> problem along with ayahuasca use in Central and South
> America?

Doesn't seem to have. Since ayahuasca is part of their
tradition, they probably don't mess around with anything
but the real deal, which is easily available.

> Sort of like people can wreck their
> nervous systems with meth and such.
>
> Some folks evidently are having some very un-spiritual
> disassociation troubles from using it and are trying to
> put themselves back together psycho-physiologically.

Is that the only symptom, dissociation? I assume you mean
they're experiencing dissociation long after the drug has
worn off, right?

> Looking on the internet everything is rosie about Ayahuasca.
> Seems there is an under-belly of Ayahuasca.

Probably not for real ayahuasca. Its use is really ancient.
There's some evidence of it from as far back as 2000 BC.
Natives were doing it when the Spanish arrived in the 16th
century. That makes it unlikely that it has seriously
negative effects.

Might want to take a look at some of the material on the
ayahuasca.com Web site. Obviously it's pro-ayahusaca, but
it also seems pretty down-to-earth. Here's one very
detailed article by an ethnopharmacology expert:

http://www.ayahuasca.com/science/the-scientific-investigation-of-ayahuasca-a-review-of-past-and-current-research/

http://tinyurl.com/3dcrphw

There's a bunch of other scientific studies as well.