--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 03:24 AM, sparaig wrote:

[...]
> Research on meditation has been around since way before Maharishi
> started his movement.  Scientists are always curious about these things.

Yeah, but MMY was the first guru I'm aware of who was encouraging research.
That started back in 1959 at 433 according to the book. The earliest published
research on meditation goes back a few years before that, but meditation
research didn't become even remotely mainstream until Keith Wallace's PhD
thesis was published in Nature in 1970.

The earliest published physiological research I can find dates from 1961,
though I believe there was a study on Zen meditators published some years prior
to that.

Lawson