--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...>
wrote: >
<curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

> > All the God beliefs can't be right at the same time.
> >
> All the beliefs about physics can't be right at the
> same time. Relativity theory and quantum mechanics cannot
> both be right. They contradict each other. Should I reject
> both of them because  they both can't be right at the same
> time?

Do relativity theory and quantum mechanics contradict each
other? I thought it was more that one works for tiny stuff,
and one works for big stuff. The hope is to be able to unify
them some day.

But it is an interesting idea this - could different
contradictory beliefs about something (whether about God, or
physics) BOTH be true? The knee-jerk assumption might be "of
course not!".

For example, it is probably taken as axiomatic by those whose
faith lies in Science that if one day all the "facts" were in,
then it would be possible for science to lay out The Complete
Truth about Life, the Universe, and Everything. There could
only be ONE "truth" at that point: It would not be possible to
have more than one "theory of everything" where each theory
contradicted the other, and yet each theory explained all of
the facts perfectly. For Scientism, that would amount to
heresy!

Yet this heresy is well known in epistemology as the
"Quine/Duhem hypothesis". (Quine being a mid 20th century
American logician, who in turn was influenced by the brilliant
C.S. Peirce, and Duhem being a French physicist  d.1916).

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/scientific-
underdetermination/

Indeed I'd suggest a potted history of recent epistemology
might go like this: First there was the logical positivists of
the Vienna Circle (1920s approx). (Xeno here has recently
referred to Carnap, a fully signed up member of the club):
"Science is built on solid empirical foundations and there is
a clear demarcation between science (whose theories are
verifiable), and metaphysics (which is meaningless)".

Then Karl Popper shows up: "Science is NOT built on a
foundation of theories which are known to be true. In fact we
can never know this. But we can conclusively falsify some of
our ideas, and that's how we progress (by weeding out the
rubbish). There is a clear demarcation between science (whose
theories are falsifiable), and metaphysics (which is not, but
may stimulate research)".

But post-Popper, the Quine/Duhem hypothesis has gained
considerable traction: "Not only is there no conclusive
verification, there is no conclusive falsification possible
either. Our web of beliefs face the tribunal of experience
'not singly, but as a whole' (epistemological holism). The
'web of belief' (whether of science, or our own personal
beliefs) is adjusted in the face of experience using values -
such as simplicity, universality, and conservatism. Somewhat
subjective values!

In other words, 'rationality' is as much an art as a science.
It's a 'knack' that we all possess (to varying degrees,
including animals), and not just a deductive system of rules
and evidence that 'guarantees' objective knowledge when
followed properly.

In addition to epistemological holism, this school of thought
believes in epistemological indeterminacy. This is the idea
that the web of belief is always under-determinded by the
'data' (which are always theory-laden anyway). So two theories
can 'explain all the evidence', and yet still contradict each
other. As an example, let's say on planet Zargos the
Eleverines get along fine building technology based on the
theory that stuff is 'made' of particles. But then on planet
Gaga the Zebrarinos do just as well, although their science
takes 'stuff' to be fundamentally wave-like. Particles or
waves? They can't BOTH be true can they? Well, yes, possibly
it seems, if we are to go along with Quine/Duhem. And, to use
a Zebra's parlance, 'Reality' won't find out one theory at the
expense of the other. Both will be 'supported by reality'.

Or perhaps instead of thinking that both theories are true, we
should think that NEITHER is *true* (in the sense of revealing
reality, giving us absolute knowledge). They are of equal
value - they both enable folks to get by. But they are not
even fingers pointing at the moon. This epistemology is so
pessimistic, there may be no moon at all, and even if there
is, no one finget gets exclusive pointing rights.

So the whole thing is a bit of a ride down the slippery slope
to scepticism: First the epistemological optimism of the
Vienna Circle, then the more humbling approach of Popper, then
finally a collapse into subjectivism and indeterminacy
courtesy of the Quine/Duhem gang.

I buy this, but it DOES change your perspective. It makes you
suspect that the way science is invoked in our times involves
a lot of hubris. For those who have turned to science to
resolve their existential angst (now that 'God is dead') -
well their faith may be misplaced. It makes you suspicious of
the view that we moderns suddenly 'got' science in the
Enlightenment, and folks in other ages and cultures were just
superstitious ignoramuses.

And of course it might make the idea that "knowledge is
structured in consciousness" appear more reasonable?