Thirty years ago my favorite singer-songwriter released a song with the
same title as this post. Bruce Cockburn was accurate in his description
of the vibe of his time, but also IMO *our* time as well. He traveled
the world, sat in cafes and looked around as he traveled, and tried to
extract the *trends* he saw going down in the different places. Then,
being a deeply spiritual person, he tried to extrapolate from these
trends what they might mean about our collective future as humans
sharing this blue-green ball in black space. As usual, he was prescient.

http://www.uulyrics.com/music/bruce-cockburn/song-the-trouble-with-norma\
l/
<http://www.uulyrics.com/music/bruce-cockburn/song-the-trouble-with-norm\
al/>

Bruce IMO was brilliant at capturing what he saw as "normal" in the
places he traveled to and the people he observed. And I think he did an
admirable job of it in this song. But the real "take away" of the song
for me is the phrase that follows the Subject title of this post in the
chorus:

       The trouble with normal
       Is it always get worse.

Lately, taking advantage of my summer vacation, I've had occasion to
cruise a few more of the spiritual drive-ins on the Internet than usual.
Some of the trends I've seen there among the participants uplift me and
make me feel all warm and fuzzy again about the spiritual path, and
where it might lead. Other trends...uh...not so much. What I'm pondering
over this glass of beer in this cafe is the latter trend's
representation of what constitutes normal. And, if Bruce's insight is
correct, what will these forums -- and these people -- be like in a few
years when their idea of normal actually gets worse.

For some posters -- sad to say, on any of the forums, the rare ones --
normal is writing about high, shiny shit, and conveying to others their
continuing joy at watching it hit the cosmic fan. For others -- sad to
say, often the majority -- the normal of a "spiritual" Internet forum
seems to be all about taking that same shit and re-flinging it at others
through their writing.

For the latter, a joke becomes a deadly insult, one that "has to" be
responded to not just with one rejoinder, but many. Some turn the
tiniest, most petty affronts into multi-year vendettas. Others just get
their buttons pushed about some criticism of or witticism about their
teacher, their path, or them personally, and feel the need to lash out
at the heretics. I wish that I could say that this tendency was limited
to TM and FFL, but sadly I cannot. I have seen this same over-reactive
behavior on dozens of Internet forums over the years, and on five of the
six I haunt lately. They are pretty much like all other Internet forums
in terms of the "flame quotient" and the chronic over-reaction. Reading
them, I question sometimes why these forums are designated "spiritual."
Fortunately -- so far -- the sixth has remained the sole exception. This
gives me hope, and the impetus to write this rap.

The sixth forum seems to consist primarily of long-term spiritual
seekers who have decided to try to walk on the Internet the talk of
their philosophy. They have decided to go for a (in their view) higher
definition of normal. I find that reassuring, especially because the
forum is unmoderated.

Because otherwise, I mean...WTF? Did we all start meditating and climb
aboard the spiritual Magic Bus all those years ago just to settle for
everybody else's idea of what constitutes normal?

I know I started walking the spiritual path because I was looking for a
better version of normal than I was experiencing everywhere else. I
think a lot of us who signed on back in the late 60s or early 70s felt
the same way. Why then do so many people *who* started walking the
spiritual path all those years ago feel that there is nothing the
slightest bit "off" with a definition of normal that involves going
postal when someone posts a belief or opinion that runs counter to their
own?

WTF? Did they *forget* why they started walking the spiritual path? Did
they give up on the view of "enhanced normal" or "more normal" that path
and its dogma presented to them? Are they, after all these years
questing for a better definition of normal, willing to settle for the
Internet's version of normal? WTF happened?

I have no answers. I'm just pondering the topic in this cafe today over
a beer. If you have answers to what constitutes normal for 20-to-45-year
spiritual seekers -- or should -- you guys can work it out.