On 07/19/2011 06:42 AM, authfriend wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:

>>> Didn't you read the last two paragaphs?
>>>
>>> And BTW, there are many poor/elderly people who can't
>>> afford AC. Some can't even afford *fans*; local
>>> governments often have programs to distribute free fans
>>> to those who don't own one.
>> The mid-west normally has heat waves during the summer.  Mike was
>> kidding.  Probably most homes there do have some form of AC.
> FWIW:
>
> "Persistent high temperatures were particularly dangerous
> to residents not accustomed to the combination of heat
> and humidity....Air-conditioning may be the rule in
> southern states, but many homes in the northern Plains
> and Midwest do not have it."
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/heat-wave-bakes-central-united-states-150949129.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ummr5c

And about every summer I read of heat waves in the midwest.  Are you
sure the author knows what they are talking about? Like I said they may
not have AC (usually a reference to refrigerated air conditioning).   I
grew up in eastern Washington which is part of the "great desert".
Summer could get hot.  As a kid we had a "swamp cooler" which is water
cooled air conditioner.  Those are still sold too.  So they may have
that or fans.

And nobody in the Fairfield area on FFL disputed my claim.