On Jul 25, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Tom Pall wrote:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Vaj <vajradh...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I would propose that MZ experienced "Maharishi Unity Consciousness", a state different from videha-mukti or brahma- chetana, traditional "UC". Maharishi Unity Consciousness (MUC) more resembles hypomania, and is often coupled with Narcissistic Personalty Disorder (and other Axis II disorders) and can be seen in an unfortunate number of FFL posters.

I fully suspect that one of the outcomes of the Neo- and Pseudo- advaita movements will be an eventual classification in the DSM for these disorders.

Vaj, and you're suggesting that our self-proclaimed and Maharishi- proclaimed enlightened/formerly enlightened individuals here have gotten over their Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Well it's hard to say. In MZ's case I'd hasten to add that my impression of him is that he's actually a good person at heart, very intelligent and probably was raised in a balanced, loving home. In his case, that made all the difference in the world, and it also (for me) makes him very interesting to listen to, even if I don't agree with everything he says (or how long he takes to say it). I always saw MZ as a frustrated Shakespearian actor, who had a natural gift for teaching and being up in front of others. He has a natural gift for teaching in general and loves being center stage. I'm sure his students benefitted greatly from those gifts. I cannot honestly say he has NPD, after all so many of us have one or two criteria as a part of our unique personalities without them adversely impacting our lives or the lives of others.

I recently talked to one of his old students for several hours on the phone and his feeling was that "those were great times, I had a blast".

Some of them here proclaim how special they are by trying to act like Mr. Humble, seeming to lap up any criticism as something coming from Themselves and/or as cosmic gifts of learning situations. This is always announced with a flourish. Hypomania sure describes the requirement to fill pages with $5 words strung together to make no coherent sense at all.

Yes, I've noticed that as well.

RC?  I like the phrase Maharishi Unity Consciousness.

It only seems appropriate given such phrases as "Maharishi Ayurveda" or "Maharishi Vedic Science", esp. since it's an obvious variant.

Seems so much like a case of me me me me me. Of course people would describe their experiences in terms used by Maharishi because he gave us words to peg experiences on. But it goes beyond that. Interesting that the Holy Spirit speaks the same language those speaking in tongues speak. What sounds like babble from beyond when analyzed actually follows the same rules of cadence and syntax as the native language of the person speaking in tongues. Interesting. Almost like being filled with the spirit means being inspired to convince oneself and others that they've arrived.

LOL.

You've always had a great sense of humor Tom. I always imagined you could be fun to be around for that very reason.