--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> , maskedzebra <no_reply@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> The Oracle at Delphi (I choose to interpret this
> symbolically, even though I am sure the O at D
> was really tuned in) was saying that Socrates
> occupies a particular and privileged place in
> Athenian society—and, one must presume at that
> time, throughout the whole world [I am trusting
> this Oracle at Delphi guy because has  gravitas]

Minor point: "The Oracle at Delphi guy" was actually
a dame, known as the Phythia or Priestess of Delphi.

According to Wikipedia, there's some controversy
among historians as to whether her ecstatic
babblings had to be interpreted by (male) priests,
or whether she spoke perfectly intelligibly in
response to the questions put to her.

But the personage who spoke sitting on a high stool
perched over a chasm in the rock, supposedly
inhaling the mysterious entrancing vapors that arose
from it, was most definitely female.

[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/John_Collier_-\
_Priestess_of_Delphi.jpg/220px-John_Collier_-_Priestess_of_Delphi.jpg]
</wiki/File:John_Collier_-_Priestess_of_Delphi.jpg>