--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, merudanda <no_reply@...> wrote:

> A shy,  innocent young Turquoiseb with a laptop in his hand
> walked up to a beautiful young woman in Yab Yum and said:
> "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"
>
> "Yes I do," replied the beautiful young woman, "But
> go ahead, as I'm sure you're going to ask me anyway."
>
> "OK," said the shy, innocent young Turquoiseb with a laptop
> in his hand, "How many men have you slept with?"
>
> "That's my business!" snapped the woman.
>
> "Oh, right!" said the shy, innocent young Turquoiseb with a
> laptop in his hand, "I didn't realize you made a living out
> of it!"

Strangely enough, and because Bob seems to like my bar
conversations :-), at least once I was nearly that naive.

I lived in Malibu but worked in downtown L.A., so there
was a constant deadline to hitting the Coast Highway and
heading back up to home after a day at work. If I made
the highway by 6:00 PM, I would be home in 15 minutes.
Hit it at 6:15 and it would take me an hour. Wait until
7:00 PM and the drive would again take only 15 minutes.
This was such an inexorable law of nature that as an
Angelino I had come to respect it.

So one day I hit the highway late, and instead of being
stuck in my car for an hour, I decided to go to a bar
instead and have a drink before continuing home. It was
a nice bar, on the top floor of a hotel overlooking the
Pacific, with floor-to-ceiling windows. A nice place to
chill and wait out the traffic.

I was dressed in a suit and sitting at the bar, and after
a while the woman sitting next to me engaged me in
conversation. She was attractive, and dressed in a well-
tailored woman's business suit, and so I assumed she was
waiting out the traffic like I was.

We talked small talk for a while, and she asked what I
did for a living. I told her, and then asked, tempering
my words because by this time I thought maybe instead of
a salesperson or a computer consultant she was a well-
tended-to housewife and didn't have to work, "And you?
Do you work?"

She smiled at me and said, "I am."

I almost spit my drink out laughing. She laughed, too,
because she realized in that moment that up to that
moment I really hadn't had any idea what she did for
a living.

I explained to her as tactfully as I could that I was
not particularly interested in furthering her career
that evening, and we had a very pleasant conversation
until a more likely sales prospect arrived at the bar,
and she moved over to talk to him.

I love such moments, because like Tom's joke they have
a "twist" at the end. The fact that the joke is on you
really doesn't matter; if the twist is good enough,
you laugh anyway.