<curtisdeltablues@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" raviyogi@ wrote:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the Hindu belief system does.  And I guess as a
pseudo-outcaste
> > Hindu you might share the belief that all is well and wisely put,
that
> > no child dying in pain didn't earn it in a past life.  And as much
as I
> > find that view repugnant, it doesn't rise to the level of deceptive
> > communication as asserting that any of this nonsense is
scientifically
> > based.
> > >
> > Curtis, you can do better than that. The Hindu belief system isn't
meant
> > to be judgmental, the Hindu belief system doesn't say anything about
not
> > helping the child. Science and philosophy has no answers as to why
that
> > child is dying in pain nor does religion. Both science and religion
> > would try to compassionately help the child in pain. The theory of
Karma
> > isn't to explain any answers, it is to learn surrender, that there
are
> > complex mysterious forces at play - as to why certain people suffer
> > while others thrive. It empowers us to avoid the suffering that
comes
> > from pain, by holding you responsible for your suffering and
providing
> > you tools to overcome this suffering.
>

> Your perspective is well stated and reasonable.  It probably
represents what many educated and thoughtful Hindus believe.  And like
Christians who have proposed more reasonable perspectives on their
religion, it ignores what the scriptures of that religion actually say.
Many Hindu scriptures actually give the specific next life punishment
for actions.  And the reprehensible treatment of lower caste members is
a direct result in their birth as a reflection of their past life's
advancement.

> So you are better than Hinduism's teachings. That is a good thing.

Curtis - for someone as intelligent and creative as you, you can again
do better. You agree that religion is different than Science but you use
the same yardstick to judge both which is what I have a problem with.
Unlike science reason, logic cannot be used to understand religion. I do
agree with your statement that religion should not use scientific terms,
I think both believers like Buck and skeptics like you make a mistake by
trying to integrate or invalidate the other, that they somehow have to
be mutually exclusive or make sense using a similar criteria. I don't
really see a need to. Even though I berate intellect I don't discard it
myself. I'm a software engineer, a darn good one at work but I realize
the limitations and proper use of it. I discard as soon as I am away
from my computer. However when approaching religion I don't try to
interpret it literally or using reason and logic.
We do not use the same approach when dealing with different people,
children, adults, mean, women. Hinduism is not just about caste system
and retribution for actions, its not even a religion. I don't consider
myself as a Hindu, I use the terms from Hinduism because I was born
there I would have done different if I was a Christian. There are lot of
Hindu scriptures like Tripura Rahasya and Vasishtha Yogathat don''t even
address this, these are the scriptures that I have read, never came
across the ones you mention. I would believe you, like the modern Hindus
that you talk about, would be attracted to these rather than being
fascinated with and pillorying the caste system and the like which had a
specific purpose for a different mindset of people.
What is it that attracts or pains you about these concepts that you
quite clearly say is not in line with the modern educated Hindu thought?
Why do you bother to give so much attention and try to paint it as what
Hinduism is? I wonder what you are intentions are? Surely you are not
living or battling in some feudal village in Northern India under the
oppressive grip of upper castes?