The two presidential administrations faced or are facing two different economic
problems. Reagan was president when the Federal Reserve squeezed inflation
away. The economy suffered for a bit, then bounded back - probably spurred by
the spending derided below.

Obama became president when the West entered a period of massive deleveraging.
Everyone is paying down debt. Our houses are worth less than we're paying on
them. Escalating healthcare costs are consuming increases in productivity. The
only way out may be fiscal stimulus, but it goes against the culture of paying
down debt.

Today's problem is entirely different from that of 1980, and will take longer
to correct.