--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley" <j_alexander_stanley@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > My guess is that they made some kind of bet
> > > as to who could refrain from posting here the
> > > longest, and neither is willing to lose it. :-)
> >
> > Shemp unsubscribed shortly after Rick posted a really nasty
> > email he had received in response to a discussion on FFL. Rick
> > and I sniffed around and discovered that the nasty email was
> > actually from Shemp, but from an email address tied to his real
> > name. With his cover blown, he unsubscribed.
>
> Rick should never have posted the email without first
> asking and receiving permission to do so, IMHO, no matter
> who it was from, no matter how nasty it was. That's a
> serious breach of electronic etiquette.

It's quite common for people to make an exception about posting private email
when the email is abusive.

> Rick
> > and I sniffed around and discovered that the nasty email was
> > actually from Shemp, but from an email address tied to his real
> > name. With his cover blown, he unsubscribed.
>
> But Alex, it didn't take any "sniffing around" to recognize
> that it was from Shemp; it was obvious from what he said in
> the email. He wasn't attempting to hide who he was, he just
> mistakenly sent the email to Rick from the address linked to
> his real name. He had sent an email to me once the same way
> by accident.
>
> I can't imagine Rick was unaware that he had "blown Shemp's
> cover" when he posted it. I think that's *why* he posted it,
> to "punish" Shemp for having been nasty.
>
> And I think that's why Shemp left, because he figured Rick
> had done it on purpose.

I looked in my Yahoo Inbox at the emails we exchanged about it, and Rick seemed
surprised that it was Shemp. I think Rick just didn't make the connection. Rick
is very stong in his support of the anonymity rule, even to the point of
granting the special dispensation of restored anonymity in the case of someone
who had previously identified himself by his real name. If Rick had known that
mail was from Shemp, I doubt he would have forwarded it without the email
address redacted.