--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Loved it, thanks.  Backacha!
> >
> > Jesus and Vishnu on Christmas eve.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7x-DHKHW0
> >
> > RESPONSE: Somebody secretly is fighting off doubts about evolution here.
> > Too worked up metabolically. Serenity, irony, quiet confidence, respecting
> > what makes it hard for some people to take the idea of macroevolution as
> > proven: much better.

Agreed.  It needed a final edit and cooler delivery to be more effective
communication.  But that said, I know plenty of guys like this and it doesn't
really mean anything about the content of what he is saying.  It is our
emotional reaction to to a person being too self indulgent that makes it poor
communication.  He went to far into the dickish lane for me too.

< If someone was holding out for flat earth theory, how would be treat that
person? Not like this. Brilliant as it is. Some people want macroevolution to
be true so much they become much too aggressive and abusive in their
denunciation of the persons (like John Lennon) who balked at the sweeping
claims of Darwin. This is evidence of metaphysical anxiety: You mean
macroevolution might not be true? I don't think it has been proven beyond the
right to ask question about it. Although microevolution is a no-brainer.

There are questions within the thoery that are still being discussed.  And the
understanding has advanced far beyond Darwin's initial formulation due to the
spirit of questioning.  In this year's election this is gunna be a lowest bar
litmus test for me.  If you understand science, you understand how the theory
of evolution is the basis for our whole understanding of biology.  It is is
more than key.

> As for the Christmas boast of Christ, I think Jesus prevails here. He has all
> the cards. However facetiously presented, his arguments against Krishna win
> out for me. It's a bloody good argument. Besides where does your irresistible
> love of Christmas come from, Curtis?

Well we have to be realistic that most of what I love about Christmas is not
Christan but Druid and Mithra worship.  My neurons got bribed into it pretty
early.  But I still enjoy the nativity myth perhaps even more so now that I
know some of the sources it was cannibalized from historically.  These are
archetypes to be enjoyed.

> Me: I say it comes from the fact that it is true. God became a tiny infant.

I would go with: God becomes every tiny infant.  Jesus was really not so unique
in his time.  There were other messianic guys whose philosophies were less able
to be turned into an empire builder for Constantine, but who in their time were
as popular as Jesus during his life.

> If only he was around somewhere now.
>
> I'd like to hear his response to Rick's post. Smugness—about anything—it is a
> dangerous thing. Sounds a little like an Oral Roberts prayer tent with the
> ritual denunciation of the evils of atheism—although Oral never got that good
> of course. And didn't know the first thing about irony. Or beauty. Jesus, you
> there?
>
> Nope.
>
> But we still celebrate your birthday. Krishna, you could have done a lot
> better. What happened?
>
> Hey, Curtis. I like that you like Christmas.
>
> No neurobiological explanation there.

Neuron bribing pure and simple!  My folks took the Santa thing seriously and we
were very spoiled at Christmas.

A purer form of Christmas spirit is the feeling I get when I hear, walking
along crunching on new snow, in my Pocono mountain hometown, the clear song of
a Chickadee through the pine trees. It is my version of a Christmas carol and
always means Joy to the World to me.

Oh yeah, and German Lebkuchen Christmas cookies washed down with a little
Balvenie doublewood single malt. (the fist aging is in oak bourbon casks, the
second in port wine casks)  Now THAT is the body and blood of Christ!