--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> Let me be more concise.  I particularly liked this phrase, and I
> think it is often true.

Yeah? What do you think it means to "turn a liberal
over and give them a good shake"? Be specific. Give
an example.

And what do you think a neocon is?

I'm sorry, but it's meaningless, just a bunch of
phrases that sound good strung together but don't
actually refer to anything real (even if he weren't
using them to describe me specifically).

There's an old saw about how a conservative is a
liberal who's been mugged, implying that the liberal
becomes a racist after having been mugged (the
assumption being that the mugger was black).

I suspect Bob was trying to echo this saying while
giving it a different context, but while there was
a grain of unpleasant truth to the original, what
Bob ended up with was too vague to mean anything.
I don't think he even knows what a "neocon" is, and
I'll bet you don't either. Nor did Barry when he
claimed the neoconservatives were waging a "war
against science."

>From Wikipedia:

"Neoconservatism in the United States is a branch of American conservatism that
is most known for its advocacy of using American economic and military power to
topple American enemies and promote liberal democracy in other countries. The
movement emerged during the early 1970s among Democrats who disagreed with the
party's growing opposition to the Vietnam War and had become skeptical of the
Great Society's welfare programs. Although neoconservatives generally endorse
free-market economics, they often believe cultural and moral issues to be more
significant, and so have tended to be less thoroughgoing in opposition to
government intervention in society than more traditionally conservative and
libertarian members of the Republican Party.[1][2] Most neoconservatives
support the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism

The trend of liberals becoming neocons is long past
because the situations that inspired their change in
viewpoint are long past. Neocons today--the second
generation--are mostly from the GOP to start with.

I suspect Bob remembered reading something about the
liberals in the '70s who became neocons and figured
it must apply today as well, but he was thinking of
today's conservatives, not neocons. Remember how he
led up to this:

"Like many progressives you're progressive till someone
offends your sense of what is acceptable. YOU SEEM TO
FORGET, democracy is NOT about protecting the people we
agree with, it about protecting the people many of us
don't agree with."

This has nothing at all to do with neoconservatism.
And it's all in the context of my purported censorship,
an idiotic notion to begin with.

The whole paragraph is just blather. I think he'd
temporarily run out of things to say and was just
marking time, keeping his fingers going, by typing words
until something more pointed occurred to him.