> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > IMO, it's really the key issue in many
> > ways. Does a person's world view state that
> > the thing that "keeps them from realizing
> > enlightenment" has a physical basis, and
> > some kind of physical reality, or are the
> > physical symptoms described just that, the
> > inevitable karmic result of resisting
> > enlightenment?  Stated differently, which
> > comes first -- does the physical discomfort
> > prevent realization of enlightenment, or
> > does *resisting* the realization of enlight-
> > enment cause the physical discomfort?
> >
> > The former world view is a way of clinging
> > to excuses.  "It's not me that is preventing
> > my realization of enlightenment...it's all
> > of these physical feelings of discomfort
> > (often labeled "stress").  If they weren't
> > present, I'd realize enlightenment."
> >
> > The latter is more like dropping the act
> > and saying to oneself, "There IS no obstacle
> > to realization of enlightenment, physical or
> > otherwise. Every spiritual teacher worth their
> > salt in history has told me that I am already
> > enlightened, so why not believe it, and drop
> > this crutch of an excuse?"  In my experience,
> > dropping the excuses can open the doorway to
> > the realization of enlightenment.
> >
> > IMO, of course.
>
> Interesting story.

Absolutely.  On one level, Just Another Story.

However, there are really *two* stories above.
If one keeps telling oneself the first story,
over and over and over, one is telling oneself
that one is NOT enlightened, that there is
something that is PREVENTING enlightenment,
and that one is basically a VICTIM of this
"something" that is preventing enlightenment.

If one prefers the second story, it may be
Just Another Story, but doesn't it seem like
a possibly more productive story?

It's all a matter of predilection and prefer-
ence, in my opinion.  Some people cling to
the stories that reinforce that they're not
enlightened and that this isn't under their
control.  Others prefer the stories that say
that they already are enlightened and that
realizing this is very much under their
control.  Whatever floats yer boat.  :-)