That's neat. Thanks for sharing.

----- Original Message -----
From: TurquoiseB
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 8:54 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Here and now boys

That's what they had trained all the parrots to
say in Aldous Huxley's "Island."  It was a pretty
neat idea.

Anyway, here and now I'm back in Paris but still
on vacation, so I went to see an exhibit I'd been
reading about that was showing at la Musée Guimet.
This is one of the best museums in Paris for Asian
Art anyway, but the current exhibit definitely adds
some high-tech "spice."

It's a set of paintings and videos and art instal-
lations by a guy named Rodolphe Gombergh.  He uses
the radiography images that the museum creates when
it "looks inside" its sculptures to get clues about
how they were made, and then he turns them into art.

Sometimes he creates paintings based on the images,
other times he takes the radiography images them-
selves and integrates them into video projects.
The showpiece of his current exhibition there,
when you first walk into the room it's situated in,
appears to be an almost psychedelic video of colorful,
beneath-the-scenes looks into several of the Buddha
sculptures that the museum owns.  It's neat just as
a video, but it gets neater.

When you walk a little closer to the images playing
on the big-screen TV, suddenly another set of images
appears.  Hovering in midair about five feet in front
of the screen is a second movie, this one in the form
of 3-D holographic images, of the same Buddhas.

You can walk right up to them.  You can look through
the hologram images of the Buddha to see the background
images of the Buddha.  You can walk up to the Buddha
and try to touch him.  You reach out and grab and you
grab empty air.  You get all intellectual on the Buddha's
ass and try to walk around him, to see him from another
angle, maybe catch a clue that way.  Doesn't work.  He
blinks out of existence the moment you try any of that
tricky stuff.

Finally, you realize that the only way to truly apprec-
iate the foreground Buddha is just to relax and hang
out in the optimum viewing spot and and appreciate the
foreground Buddha as he dances in front of the background
Buddhas dancing in the video.  To really get into the
piece, you pretty much have to be here and now.

It's a really kickin' piece of art.  It made me smile,
and it made me think positively of FFL, and of all the
cool, weirdass conversations that we have here that
sometimes provide the same reminder.