--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, P Duff <pduff@...> wrote:

> I, for one have always made those observances you seem to denigrate.
> And you forgot about the quaint practice of disposing of everything
> afterward in a natural body of water.  I've always done that as well-
> white cloth, coconut shell, teeeeeny bits of incense stick, the whole
> nine yards. And if I could get a line on betel leaves, they'd be
there,
> too.
>
> And I do not account myself the least bit woo-woo for the effort.
> Rather, I find it satisfying to bring puja to its proper conclusion; a
> promise made and kept.  I also admit to being puzzled by the notion
that
> there are those who consider a body of knowledge sufficiently valuable
> to warrant their going through considerable efforts to be able to
learn
> it, while at the same time valuing it little enough to disparage
> innocent paspects of it.  Just my two cents' worth.  Back to lurking.

P, thanks for de-lurking, but if your comments were aimed at me,
I think you've possibly forgotten who you're talking to. I have no
reverence for the TM puja, have not performed it in decades, and
almost certainly never will again in this life. It was a ritual I
learned
while young and foolish, and now I am old and foolish, and prefer
other, more meaningful rituals, such as compulsively cleaning my
DVDs before playing them (although I never blow on them afterwards,
because that would be a waste of my valuable prana).

In retrospect, since you seem to have brought up the reverence and
awe with which I and others are supposed to view the TM puja, I
can't really agree with you. It was IMO just a cobbled-together set
of traditional Indian buzzwords and phrases designed to produce
mood-making in the practitioner and a feeling of awe or wonder in
viewers. I don't believe in the magical Woo Woo properties either
of the words used in the puja, or as TM mantras. They're just words;
get over it. Nor do I feel the need to appease or appeal to a set of
gods
I don't believe in or praise a bunch of holy guys whom I don't believe
were either holy or deserve the praise. I tend to regard the puja the
same way I regard most of Indian culture -- the remnants of a barbaric,
superstitious nation whose scriptures tend to dwell overlong on justi-
fications for war, violence, elitism, and perpetuating genocide on those
who don't agree with the religious fanatics who wrote the scriptures.
In short, I am neither an Indiaphile nor a TMphile. The puja is as dead
to me as Maharishi is; neither has any place in my life, nor should.

I wrote what I wrote because I caught myself waving at an incense
stick to put out the flame, and then laughing at the still-lingering
imprinting I'd picked up while in the TM movement. I thought others
here might laugh, too, because they probably were similarly imprinted.
Heck, I don't even burn incense much these days, except to cover the
smell of an occasional kitchen accident.

All of this said, I shall probably continue to wave my paw at the
incense during the rare times I light some, just because it reminds
me of a favorite Dogbert cartoon. Thanks for providing the oppor-
tunity for a good rant; I've missed your set-ups.  :-)

  [0]