re: the co-founder of AA: William G. Wilson. Found LSD and niacin to be of
value; claimed a discarnate Spirit named Boniface helped him craft the 12 Steps
program.
>From Wiki:
"For Wilson, spiritualism was a life-long interest. One of his letters to
adviser Father Dowling suggests that while Wilson was working on his book
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, he felt that spirits were helping him, in
particular a 15th century monk named Boniface.[34] Despite his conviction that
he had evidence for the reality of the spirit world, Wilson chose not to share
this with AA. However his practices still created controversy within the AA
membership. Wilson and his wife continued with their unusual practices in spite
of the misgivings of many AA members. In their house they had a "spook room"
where they would invite guests to participate in seances using a Ouija
board.[35][36]"