Fascinating article from Salon, an interview with one of the world's
leading experts on lying and deception. What attracted me to it was his
distinction between deceit (lying to others) and self-deception (lying
to oneself), and trying to figure out an evolutionary reason for both
behaviors.

It's always been my experience -- especially on Internet chat groups --
that those who most often claim that others are lying or attempting to
deceive others are the ones who seem to have the highest degree of
self-deception going for them. They accuse others of lying to them
because they're constantly lying to themselves, and thus assume that
everyone else is constantly lying, too. On a more pragmatic level, and
one directly related to the cult phenomenon, what better possible
training could there be for trying to prosyletize or "convert" others to
one's beliefs than constantly lying about those beliefs to oneself? It's
literally practice.

Also fascinating is the link he mentions between gays being in the
closet and its relationship to their immune systems; in this case, lying
to themselves and to others is literally killing them. And I just love
the example he gives of the child pretending to cry while the mother and
dogs (an audience) are in the room with him, but then stops when they
leave, walks to find them, and then immediately starts crying again.
Doesn't that remind you of FFL lately? :-)

The evolution of deceit
<http://www.salon.com/2011/11/05/the_evolution_of_deceit/singleton>
New discoveries show that fibs and self-deception are central to our
evolutionary strategy. An expert explainsNot long ago, a young man drove
onto Robert Trivers' Jamaica  property. Suspicious of the man's
sudden appearance, and convinced he  was intent on either extorting
money from him or robbing him, Trivers, a  Rutgers professor, confronted
him about his identity. His first name,  the man said, was Steve.
"What's your last name?" Trivers asked.  Trivers, one of the
world's leading evolutionary theorists and an expert  on deceit, was
checking for a behavioral sign that the man was lying,  like an absence
of hand gestures or longer pauses between words, which  indicate
"higher cognitive load."  The man paused. And Trivers knew
immediately he was right: As it turns out, the man's real name was
Omar.
Trivers,  a professor of anthropology and biological sciences, probably
knows  more about the mechanics and meaning of deception than almost
anybody  else in the world, and his new book, "The Folly of
Fools,"
<http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/folly-of-fools-robert-trivers/110100512\
7?ean=9780465027552&itm=1&usri=folly%252bof%252bfools>   covers pretty
much anything you'd want to know about the topic. The  book is an
attempt to connect the mechanics of deceit to evolutionary  science, and
takes a broad survey of the areas in which the two overlap,  including
animal predation, parenting and people's sex lives. High  parasite
load, he discovers, for example, is correlated with heightened  levels
of self-deception, and high levels of deceit, he finds, are  closely
tied to bad health. Expansive, smart and deep, the book — a
relentlessly fascinating and entertaining read — will utterly change
the  way you think about lying.

Salon spoke to Trivers over the phone  about Arnold Schwarzenegger,
"don't ask, don't tell" and the connection  between
staying in the closet and HIV.

When you talk about deceit and self-deception what exactly are you
talking about?

Well,  in verbal terms it would be lying to others and lying to
yourself. But  deception is much deeper because it doesn't require
language and it's  found in a whole series of other animals.

So what does that have to do with evolution?

If  you take a relationship between a man and a woman, the man can be
carrying on an affair on the side and it can produce a child. Arnold
Schwarzenegger did not tell his wife that that cute little boy that he
loved so much was actually his own, by the maid. Maria discovered it
when the child was 12 years old. So you can get a reproductive benefit
by deception as long as you're not detected.

Self-deception, by  contrast, has been a long problem in human thought.
You find it in  religion. Minds like Marx and Freud have each claimed to
have a theory  of self-deception, none of which have stood up. Adam
Smith, the  economist, wrote a whole book called "Self
Deception." George Orwell  obviously had deep insight into certain
kinds of self-deception, but  nobody has had anything approaching a
coherent scientific theory as to  why on earth we would lie to
ourselves. Working on parent-offspring  conflict, I suddenly had this
flash of insight: "Ah! If self-deception  improves your ability to
deceive others, then you would have a strong  selective force to get it
into your consciousness."

So we are evolutionarily predisposed to lie to others and ourselves. How
does deception play itself out in the animal kingdom?

Let  me give you an example. If you're trying to pick out a moth
against the  bark of a tree and it has evolved to resemble the bark of
the tree more  and more precisely, then it becomes a more and more
difficult cognitive  problem for you to solve. So your cognitive powers
of detection, of  seeing things, of being able to discriminate very
minor differences,  those are all being improved. I deliberately use
that example because  the deceiver is using morphology, not behavior.

Right, so  by developing a more deceptive body, the moth is creating an
incentive  for you to become smarter — and therefore you're more
likely to evolve a  more sophisticated brain.

Nobody has worked out a  general principle of deception in creatures.
Deception, however, seems  to be a file against which mental
intellectual powers have been  sharpened. When it comes to behavior,
there is a strong correlation in  primates — monkeys and apes —
between the relative size of their  neocortex and how often they are
seen to deceive in nature. The brighter  you are, the more complex and
devious your deceptions can be.

In  children, for example, there's a strong positive correlation
between  having higher intelligence at age 4 and more deception. Smart
children  lie more than slow children. A child that is disabled to the
point of  lacking verbiage, for example, may deceive you by lunging in
one  direction and then grabbing something on the other side of you. But
they  are not going to show sophisticated verbal deceptions.

At what point do babies start deceiving their parents?

Fake  crying, where the child is able to turn it off and turn it right
back  on depending on if the audience is there, starts at 6 months. I
have a  video I use in my lecture where this child is rolling on the
ground  bawling in front of his mom and their dogs and your heart goes
out to  him. Then the mother and the dogs leave the room and the child
stops  crying, gets back up on his feet, walks toward them. As soon as
he sees  them, he immediately flings himself on the ground and starts
bawling  again. He's just trying to manipulate Mom.

  And, as you point out in the book, children get better at deceiving the
older they get.

They  start telling so-called white lies at about age 5 and at age 2 or
younger they can start pretending that a punishment is not something
they care about, when they clearly do. The more cognitively talented the
child becomes in general, the more subtle and sophisticated its
deception becomes.

You do have some really fascinating  information about the power of the
placebo effect in medicine. What does  the placebo effect tell us about
the power of self-deception?

Like  hypnosis, there needs to be a third party involved. It's very
hard to  talk yourself into a placebo effect. You've got to have
someone with a  stethoscope and a white coat and acting like a doctor to
get the placebo  effect going. There's something very important
that's not emphasized in  the literature on placebo effect —
there's a lot of variability. About a  third of us don't show
placebo effect, a third of us show a really  strong one, and a third of
us are kind of intermediate. The same thing  is true of hypnosis.

I recently saw a guy in Jamaica to whom I  gave some pills to calm him
down because he'd just gone through a minor  breakdown. I gave him a
particular pill by the recommendation of a  psychiatrist. They were pink
pills — and they had a positive effect.  When I came back to give
him his refill, I had my own version of the  pill that was identical,
but was a white pill. I called him two days  later and he openly sounded
depressed. He says, "The other pill works  better." He was so
happy when I showed up with a bunch of pink pills and  took back the
five remaining white ones.

You point out  that women think very differently about sexual deceit
depending on where  they are in their cycle of ovulation. How so?

If a woman  isn't on the pill, you get all of these differences
showing up right  around the time of ovulation, which relate to the fact
that that's her  time to get "different genes." There are
things, for example, called  major histocompatability loci [on your
genes] that are involved in the  fights against parasites. They are
highly variable. Most partners [in  sexual partnerships] don't match
but some match on one [locus], some  match on two, and in some cases
they match on all three. Since women  don't want children who have
[the same alleles or genetic code at the  same locus] the more the woman
matches with you the less she is going to  want your genes for her
children.

What they've shown is, at the  time of ovulation, if you match in
one or more of these there's more  verbally coerced sex —
"Come on, you had a headache last week" — and  there's a
greater tendency for her to employ fantasy to get off. She  thinks about
a past lover or somebody she's attracted to while you are  having
sex.

Right. So during that period of ovulation,  she's less attracted to
her husband or boyfriend, and more likely to  think about having sex
with someone else.

There's an  irony because we have pretty good evidence that women
are at their most  attractive at the time of ovulation. Their
waist-to-hip ratios are  slightly smaller, so they are more curvaceous.
They are somewhat more  symmetrical and the coloration of their face is
better. The time at  which she is most attractive to you is the time at
which she's least  attracted to you. And the men are impervious to
this.

I know a  joke, although women in this country don't like it. If
women are so good  at multitasking, how come they can't have sex and
a headache at the  same time? I told this story to a Jamaican woman and
she starts  explaining to me, "No, we're using the headache to
avoid sex." And I  say, "That's the whole joke!"

I don't think I've ever encountered that problem between gay
men.

How old are you, Thomas?

I'm 27.

Oh fuck. You're in heaven!

Ha!  Thanks, but speaking of gayness, you make some fascinating
connections  between being in the closet and the strength of your immune
system in  the book.

Homosexual men have been very intensively  studied in the U.S. for a
number of years in connection with HIV and  AIDS. You suffer more from
cancer if you are in the closet. Bronchitis  ain't deadly, but
it's certainly annoying — and once more you suffer  more from it
if you're in the closet. It's a graded phenomenon — so for
every extra degree of outness there's an improvement [in health]. It
also shows up when you measure immune parameters in saliva that
generally correlates with immune strength.

And they had a study  showing the same thing I just mentioned for HIV
positive men. What is  your guess, Thomas? Do you think people are more
likely to engage in  unprotected sex if you are in the closet or if
you're out of the closet.

When they're in the closet.

And why's that?

Because  I think a lot of closeted men think that "only gay men"
have protected  sex and that if they're not gay, they don't need
to.

You're  right, men in the closet practice more unprotected sex.
Pretend that  you and I are both gay men but I'm in the closet and
you're out. Now  you've got three condoms in your pocket and one
more in your boot in  case there's an orgy. Now, me, I'm going
out to a heterosexual party and  I'm not intending to do anything
homosexual that night. But after four  drinks and at 12:30 at night my
car turns left instead of right and I  ain't got no condom.

Now the reason that's relevant to HIV is  this: If you've got
two strains of HIV inside you, the two parasites  compete for dominance.
They each want to be the one replicating and  passed on in your sperm.
That means faster, in theory, progression into  AIDS and 20 percent
earlier death. So there's an overwhelming  relationship between
being in the closet and having a compromised immune  system.

Which, as you point out in the book, is a very strong argument against
"don't ask, don't tell."

"Don't  ask, don't tell" was an immunological disaster.
But that's typical of  Bill Clinton. He always went in for
verbalistic solutions.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/05/the_evolution_of_deceit/
<http://www.salon.com/2011/11/05/the_evolution_of_deceit/>

  [[evol-superstition.jpg]]