I saw The Mil and the Cross too and found it simply stunning.  Unique and
unlike anything else.  The movie takes place inside the painting, with the
characters coming to life.  You go into their homes, watch them go through the
day, see life in those times in all its joy, the harshness. the clothing, the
sounds of life, the quiet -  all telling the story that leads up to the scene
depicted in the painting.