--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The common understanding of the 1000s of initiators made in the 60s
> and 70s was that MMY was given the knowledge of TM from Guru Dev and
> that the knowledge regarding mantras, selection of mantras, and
> instruction in TM had been preserved orally by the Holy Tradition
and
> that is why we always do puja as part of instruction in TM.  W/o
going
> into specifics, initiators know that prior to puja we tell the
student
> that the meditation they're about to learn comes from the gentleman
> whose photo in on the puja table, and that photo isn't MMY's.
>
> It was only as time passed that people began to realize that guru
dev
> probably didn't do TM or teach it to MMY and that MMY probably made
it
> up himself (lots of theories on how and when) and then the concept
> promoted in this thread that actually it's just the "realization"
that
> had been passed on by GD to MMY.
>
> I don't care that much about lineages as I don't really understand
> them esoterically, but I agree that it's very odd that MMY has been
so
> vague as to where the specific practice TM came from.  Why??

Apparently you haven't read the post reproducing
the Larry Domash essay I referenced earlier today,
or you wouldn't think it was "odd" at all.

Here's the URL again:

http://tinyurl.com/c3owb

> Scientifically proven benefits may have been the main selling pt for
> TM, but the tradition behind TM was clearly a secondary selling pt.
> It's a specific pt in the prep. lecture to mention that prospective
> students should take heart that this meditation comes from a 5,000
> yr. old tradition and it's beneficial effects well understood on
> the basis of thousands of yrs of experience.

That's true, but I was commenting on Vaj's
assertion about "selling a technique using
phrases such  as 'the Holy Shankaracharya
Order.'"  It's hard to think of the very
vague reference you cite as a "lineage" per
se.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Why would I need to look at it again when I know from my own
> > > experience how important it is? Why would I want to separate
them?

> > Non sequitur.
> >
> > You were defending the importance of the
> > "morphogenetic field" as if Peter had dismissed
> > it, when he had not. Hence my suggestion that
> > you reread what he wrote.
> >
> > > It's also helpful in other ways. For example one may find other
> > > students of your teachers original teacher and decide to hang
with
> > > them and see how the current of transmission developed there.
Or
> > > experience other aspects of the teaching. Personally I would
not
> > > ignore the interrelatedness, because it really seems that's how
> > > things are.  It even can be important on a material level.
> >
> > The discussion, Vaj, was about the notion that
> > it was *essential* for a teaching to have a
> > traceable lineage; TM was being criticized for
> > not having one.  Hence Peter's comment that he
> > thought the insistence on a lineage was absurd.
> >
> > That's the point of disagreement, not the
> > "morphogenetic" issue.  I haven't seen anyone
> > disagree with that.
> >
> > <snip>
> > > Now where you have someone selling a technique using phrases
such
> > > as "the Holy Shankaracharya Order" to bolster image and name
brand
> > > and price--yes, then we might agree, there is a downside to
> > > spiritual materialistic aspects of line (which the TMO and it's
CEO