--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> I find this interesting but am not convinced by the idea
> (hardly a "psychological fact") that those who start TM
> constitute "a certain type of person," since such a huge
> variety of people have learned TM over the years.

Not to mention that many of them have dropped out over
the years.

In any case, it's meaningless--because it's a truism--
to say the group of those who start TM has been found
by research to be "self-selected." How could it
possibly be otherwise? Same with any other group whose
members voluntarily adopt a particular program. It
would only be meaningful if there were a finding that
the group self-selects *for* some specific
characteristics.

It's pretty reasonable to assume that the group is self-
selected for those who have an interest in self-
development, since that's what TM is for. But of course
many, many different types of people have an interest in
self-development (and a desire for self-improvement is
generally considered a positive, healthy characteristic).
There's no basis to assume such a group has "unique
vulnerabilities." That's just typical Vaj bullshit.

> I think the self-selection idea could be better applied to
> the TM campus community here in Fairfield, since that is
> certainly a self-selected group from among the many
> thousands of people who have learned TM, and they may well
> have some traits in common that would make your question,
> "What unique vulnerabilities does this group of humans
> have?" a valid and an interesting one. But I think it would
> have to be balanced by a more positive question: "What
> unique strengths, including gifts, talents, and spiritual
> vision does this group of humans have?" Then we might be
> able to reach a more fair-minded conclusion.

Exactly. Well put.