I translated that particular statement as simply as their quest to "raise
awareness of the wild places and their importance to the planet and to us
humans." Immersing oneself in nature and adventure works as a means to get us
to see that we are "connected" to our planet and spirit, so to speak.  It is
humbling and nurturing and awe-inspiring and ultimately joyful and usually
inspires one to revisit one's relationship to oneself, others, and mother Earth
and start asking oneself the larger questions about the meaning of life and the
nature of "God", etc.  My college-age daughter saw this movie - she said the
backpacking scene reminded her of "us."  Back when she was younger, we went on
some big backpacking trips that did connect her, it turns out and give her
confidence.  Tee Hee - "going back was not an option" and we hiked through a
lot of terrain.