> On Aug 17, 2005, at 7:25 AM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > In other words, its the ultimate busy-work for the TMO: he's just
> > assigned them an impossible task that will keep the organization
> > (assuming anyone, in the long run, embraces the goal that has been
> > set) busy for the next few hundreds or thousands of years.
>
> Well Lawson, any group that is to survive will have to attract young
> members. In the movement pictures I see people posting here it's all
> the same ole students still hanging around. The only youngsters are
> these peoples kids and grand kids. Sure there are a few, but the TMO
> will be very lucky if it survives another 10 years let alone another
> 100!

I'd say 20 years, until the first generation dies
off.  And then maybe another 10 years while the next
generation -- the ones indoctrinated into TM dogma
in schools -- find that there is nothing really to
be part of any more.  Did you see any young people
in the photos from Guru Purnima in Vlodrop?

But you do put your finger on the real issue.  In
my opinion, an evangelistic spiritual organization
has lost its "viability" the moment it begins to
focus more on its existing members than it does on
attracting new members.  For the TMO, I suspect
that happened about the time of the Yawning of the
Age of Enlightenment.

At that point (or around that point), the fees were
raised for basic instruction in TM, with the result
that very few new people were starting.  As a result,
more and more courses and "advanced programs" for
existing teachers and existing TMers had to be
invented, to keep the incoming revenue stream flow-
ing, and to keep the members convinced that some-
thing worth being part of still existed.

At this point, almost no new members are being
attracted, and the *entire* focus of the movement
seems to be on creating myths and "grand projects"
to keep the few remaining members on board, by
pandering to their sense of self importance.  They
are being told that the entire fate of the world
depends on them.  And they'll be told that until
Maharishi dies, and then they'll tell each other
that after he dies, and then they'll all die.

IMO, the TM movement will pretty much die with them.

And it didn't have to be like that.  If the organ-
ization had simply maintained its focus as a provider
of a simple, effective, and accessible (in terms of
cost) technique of meditation, it could have gone
on for a long, long time.  But instead it has system-
atically driven the people who believed in that goal
*out* of the organization.  Sad, when you think
about it...