--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > What was the mobile phone coverage in Finland
> > > *like* back in 1865? Curious minds want to know. :-)
> >
> > OK, this is evil of me and I apologize in advance.
> >
> > It's just that it's the end of a workweek and I'm
> > in kicking back mode and I couldn't help tripping
> > on Card's mention that Nokia was founded in 1865.
> > Sure, the company made something else back then,
> > but I couldn't help imagining what it would have
> > been like if they really did manufacture mobile
> > phones back then. So this is my take on what a
> > conversation between two Finns on their Nokias
> > might have been like in 1865.
> >
> > Hei.
> >
> > Hei. Are you there?
>

> > Kyllä. You there?
> >
> > Kyllä.
> >
> > So vat's up?
> >
> > Not much. Vat's up for you?
> >
> > Not much. But I got a letter from my cousin in
> > Amerika.
> >
> > Where?
> >
> > Amerika.
> >
> > Oh yeah. Vat's up over there?
> >
> > The war seems to be over.
> >
> > Vat war?
> >
> > The war between the states.
> >
> > Oh yeah. Vat were they fighting about again?
> >
> > I think it was about whether white people should
> > be able to own black people.
> >
> > Oh yeah. Vat are black people?
> >
> > :-)
>
> LOL! :D

So happy you laughed, Card. I really did mean no
disrespect. I was just trying to mimic the ideas
an American might have about Finland in 1895. So
they are probably as inaccurate as any impression
Finns might have about America in 1895. That sorta
thing.

More seriously, what did Nokia start as in 1895?