The Town That Lost Its Guru

Story from REDNOVA NEWS:
http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=210725

Published: 2005/08/17 06:00:00 CDT

With eyes tight shut, legs crossed and mind meandering, I briefly flirt with
inner peace. Beneath
a golden dome that is the British centre for the teachings of a mystical guru
from the East, the
time has come to dabble with the power of meditation. For a moment it seems
like paradise.
Then my eyes flicker, the faith fades and I remember that I am in
Skelmersdale, Lancashire.

Strange though it may seem, this new town of a thousand roundabouts is the
European home to
the followers of the man whose cosmic notions so entranced The Beatles in the
1960s: the
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Here they came to deploy the force of transcendental
meditation (TM),
to find personal happiness and to make the world a better place.

Now, though, a dark cloud casts its shadow over the Maharishi's British flock.
The UK, the 95-
year-old sage claims, has become a 'Scorpion nation', and meditative teachings
merely serve to
'feed the destroyer of the world'. The Maharishi, it seems, is rather ticked
off about the Iraq War
and the arms trade.

Teaching TM must cease in the UK immediately, he has ordered. 'We are
rejecting one nation "
Britain " which has proven to be a poisonous, divisive influence in the world
family,' the leader
blasts in a memo issued to his Global Country of World Peace recently.

It all seems slightly hard on his followers in Skelmersdale, who set up base
here 25 years ago
and have built up a 400-strong community. Some of the people here wonder why
their home
country has been singled out and the US left alone, and a few have even mooted
the previously
unthinkable: disobeying the legendary figure and carrying on teaching.

'He is deeply upset about the arms trade,' says David Hughes, one of the
founder members of
the community, explaining that Britain, per head of population, actually has a
worse record than
anywhere else in the world. 'This is an issue we are all very concerned
about.' Teaching
meditation in the UK, it seems, could foster energies that make the situation
worse. If the
community has to cease such activities, then it will be for the greater good.
But the rest of
Skelmersdale is slightly nervous too, for they've grown rather fond of the
Yogic fliers over the
years.

With meditation has come an award-winning school, a gym, a business centre and
new houses.
The Maharishi's men and women have injected cash into the local economy and
some even
claim their presence has revitalised it. Now the Yogics are being urged to
flee for larger, better-
funded settlements abroad. 'When we first came in 1980 things were really
bleak,' explains
Hughes, a Lancashire man by birth. Hughes and a handful of other devotees
opted for
Skelmersdale over other new towns because the rents were cheap and it was near
the heart of
Britain, offering easy access from Scotland and the Southeast. At the time,
very few other
operations viewed it as a viable centre. 'Now you can hardly find any spare
business space. If
you want to set up here you have to build from scratch.'

It has even been suggested that their communal meditation reversed the crime
rate in the
nearby Merseyside area from being one of the worst in the UK to being among
the best "
although Hughes concedes that he still doesn't leave his car unattended in
Liverpool at night.

He admits that the general upturn is not entirely down to the power of
meditation, but believes
that it has been a significant force. And the economy certainly needed a
boost. In the 1960s,
Skem " as it is affectionately known locally " survived the decline of the
mining industry only to
be turned into a concrete jungle. Its reward was to be used as an overspill
town to resettle
crowded Merseyside. Industrial employers proceeded to leave the town en masse,
and the only
growth figures related to crime, drug abuse and poverty.

But, as Hughes points out, things have been looking a little better of late.
We depart the dome
for a tour of the town. 'It was originally proposed that it should have a
population of 80,000,' he
says. 'But it's only really got up to 40,000.'

Similarly, the meditation community needs to have 800 members to affect the
way the country
lives, claims Hughes. With it languishing at just 400 it could not possibly
oust the Blair
government and move the UK towards the goal the Maharishi sets for all his
communities "
bringing peace to the world. So now they face the prospect that their teachers
will heed the
guru's order to depart to the likes of South Africa and the United States.

But Hughes says that does not mean the end of the road for Skelmersdale. 'Just
because we
cannot teach TM for the moment, does not mean that we will go away. It is like
riding a bike:
once you've had your four lessons you can keep doing it. Maharishi hasn't told
us to stop
meditating, only to stop teaching it.'

Hughes, who first learnt TM as a student in the 1970s, maintains that the
community will
remain and thrive. But as we stop off at the school, attended by 100 pupils,
the headmaster
admits that the guru's advice concerned him. 'I was a bit worried,' says Dave
Cassells, perched
in front of a chart akin to a periodic table, which shows how the positive
power of the individual
can be displaced for the greater good. He now hopes people will remain in
Skem, and opt to
learn meditation on weekend trips to Dublin (peace- loving Ireland has also
escaped the
Maharishi's wrath).

Hughes and I head back out to the roundabouts, and he shows me the fabulous
new gym, 'with
a great swimming pool', the huge Asda and the extended and refurbished
Concourse shopping
centre. Inside, shoppers admit they'd be sad to lose the Yogic fliers,
although few seem to know
who they are or what they do. Pensioner Jean Birtles admits that she 'doesn't
know too much
about what goes on up there. But they don't seem to do anyone any harm. I
guess it would be a
shame if they left.'

And for a council that has seen the town through dark periods, the Maharishi
mediators are
seen as providing a positive vibe. Indeed, council leader Geoff Roberts would
be deeply upset if
there was an existential exodus. 'This community has been very beneficial to
the Skelmersdale
area,' he explains. 'I know people involved and it does seem to have had a
calming influence on
views there.

Not everyone is quite so enthusiastic, though. 'I don't think they bring
anything to Skem, like. It
seems to be a bit of an enclosed community. I'd be more upset if Heron Foods
left,' says
Concourse security guard Eddie, pointing to a discount food store that is
typical of the centre.

And even some of those who have followed the words of the Maharishi in the
past are deeply
concerned about what one describes as his 'latest ramblings'. Hughes will
follow the guru's
path, but he admits that there have been mutterings of dissent from within the
Skelmersdale
settlement. 'I won't say that everyone has been happy about the advice given,'
he says.

That does not come as a surprise to Paul Mason, a biographer of the Maharishi.
He hopes that
many meditators will ignore the Maharishi's latest ramblings. He explains that
the meditation
craze took hold in Britain in the 1960s, and had at one point reached a stage
where hundreds
of thousands were crossing their legs and willing calm on the world. But in
more recent years
the power has ebbed somewhat. And this, he suggests, is at least partly due to
the great man's
tinkering.

The Maharishi's introduction of Yogic flying (known as the Sidhi technique),
explains Mason "
himself an avid meditator " has been of little practical use and has merely
served to fragment
the organisation. The decline, Mason suggests, could be traced to the
beginnings of the
bounce. 'Diversification is the reason for the downturn. I'm sure of that,'
says Mason.
'Meditation was a verifiable technique. There was a huge swell of interest.
But when the Sidhi
techniques were introduced a lot of people dropped out of courses. Many
teachers went
independent.'

He goes on to describe the Maharishi who, over 50 years, has trained about
40,000 people to
teach his technique, as an elderly man whose hopes for the world have 'not
come true'. And
that is why, according to Mason, he is coming up with wild ideas. 'There may
be some people
who still follow his every word, but if the Maharishi told me to jump I'd park
myself firmly on
the seat. This man is not my teacher. He is not a bona fide guru.'

Thousands, however, remain convinced. Hughes is confident that they won't all
flee
Skelmersdale, although he admits that he knows a few teachers who are already
planning to
resettle in the US, where a community more than 1,000-strong is flourishing in
Iowa. 'It's a
fantastic place,' he says. 'They've got a university, but they still need more
people. Anyone
going from here will be warmly welcomed and find exciting new projects.' He
tells me that
previous Stateside endeavours have included cutting the crime rate in
Washington DC. The war
on crime is something they are much more comfortable with than the war on
terror.

But Skelmersdale need not panic, Hughes assures me, as we head back to the
dome. The
community is not about to go the same way as the mines and heavy industry.
'All that is
happening is that the teaching has stopped. Meditation carries on and we will
still live here.
People have jobs and everyday lives to continue with. And, anyway, who knows?
Maybe someday
the teaching will be allowed to begin again.'

Story from REDNOVA NEWS:
http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=210725

Published: 2005/08/17 06:00:00 CDT

© Rednova 2004