Wow, I loved that!  I was very close to getting a crow for a pet before I got
my monkey as a boy.  They have that intelligence like parrots with a dash of
mischievous playfulness.  If parrot's intelligence is dog or cat like, I think
of the raven/crow family of birds as otter, ferret intelligence.  A comic
playfulness that gives them some extra charm as well as challenge to live with.

I'm guessing this was a natural behavior that he discovered.  In bird training
most of it is reinforcing something they discover on their own anyway.  They
are more than capable of figuring this out and enjoying it.  And that crow was
all joy! Fantastic.

Here are some quotes about their intelligence I grabbed when I searched the
difference between Ravens (larger) and Crows. I still may have to own one of
these birds someday.  I spent sometime at a small petting zoo scratching ones
head like a tiny feathered dog. It was definitely soliciting human attention
and contact and his eyes were piercingly intelligent and playful.

Following quotes are from here along with more info:

http://www.angelfire.com/id/ravensknowledge/ravensvscrows.html

When I speak of ravens or crows to people, often they want to know what
difference exists between the two. Usually, they know of a size difference, but
want to know how else to differentiate the two. Therfore below, are listed some
of the defining physical differences, social/behavioral deffences, as well as
some expert thoughts and perceptions on the American crow (Corvus
brachyrhynchos) and common raven (Corvus corax).

"To get at the mind of a crow is a great challenge, but to get in the mind of a
raven, as I found in living with one for a year, is an even greater one. Ravens
are, to enthusiasts like myself, at the top of the avian pyramid in mental
attributes."

-L. Kilham from "The American Crow and Common Raven"

"Given the tendency of corvids to be large, intelligent, adaptable,
ground-foraging birds independent of trees, it is probably only a slight
exaggeration to say that the raven (C. corax) is the ultimate Corvid. If so, it
is also at the top of the most species-rich and rapidly evolving line of the
birds. Is is the ne plus ultra of up-and-comming birds."

-Bernd Heinriech from "Ravens in Winter"