--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> This post is an epistemological field day!  It brings up many questions about
> how we can be confident about what we know.

> The question of proof.  Unlike the statement. Jesus saved me so I will live
> forever when I die, these claims about effects in the world can be proven. If
> they were true they would crush all skeptics.  So Xeno had to use as close as
> he could get to even find such a study.  Why is that?  Here is an area where
> believers could shine, so why is this the only study that even comes close to
> these claims?  You could say that the religious people who are most into
> yagyas don't care, but the movement has no such excuse and has been pitching
> yagyas for decades now, the claim is in Maharishi's earliest books.

> Hard to argue with Judy here.  Of course this is a generic
> criticism whenever you have a study that doesn't use exactly
> the same technique.  So if some yagya guys's deal doesn't pan
> out then it can be claimed that it wasn't Maharishi's super
> yagyas.

Don't quite understand the last sentence here. What
"super yagyas"?

> But that is why applying science need requires humility and
> she has a point.

FWIW, the major difference between intercessory prayer
and yagyas is that the kind of prayer that was tested,
as I understand it, was free-form and ad lib among those
who were praying; whereas there is no such variation
with yagyas: they're performed ritualistically, strictly
according to prescribed formulas, not just the words
uttered but every movement, every bit of physical
paraphernalia used, etc., etc., most likely including
aspects I'm not even aware of.

In this regard a yagya is more like the Catholic Mass,
although obviously the purposes there are different.

The fact that TM is taught and practiced in a strictly
prescribed manner, as it happens, makes it an ideal
technique for scientific study of their effects
because the variables are minimal, in contrast to
many other techniques.

Ironically, this same characteristic *should* also
make yagyas ideal for scientific study. But there are
problems with variables in terms of the predicted
*effects*, which are typically not very specific, and
which do not include a time frame. That introduces
the issue of unfalsifiability.

If a yagya is performed, say, for an individual's
increased prosperity, and no increase in the
individual's income is apparent after six months, has
the efficacy of the yagya been shown to be
nonexistent? If those doing a study of an individual
yagya imposed such specifics on the predicted effects
in advance, could you still even call what they were
studying a yagya? To what degree can you "tighten up"
the protocols before you stray from what should have
been the original purpose of the yagya?

It all gets very complicated when you take this sort
of thing into account.

<snip>

> Again Judy scores in something important to keep our eye on,
> the distinction between disproving something and not
> confirming it.  There is a slight spin at work here though
> because in science, not being able to replicate something
> can be a bad sign for the claims.

Of course. Where's the "spin"? "Disproved" is just
inaccurate terminology.

> It depends on the strength of the follow up studies and how good
> the original research was.  If there were fundamental flaws in
> the first studies but not the second, it is as close to
> disproving as you get in science sometimes.

Right. But you still can't say the first study's results
were "disproved."

> It can be the
> equivalent to no effect being found so no reason to support the
> claims.  We would have to hear specific criticism of the both
> studies which I'll bet Judy is looking for.   And again it
> should be the believers who are the most rigorous in this area
> to make sure that it gets confirmed.  That is how science helps
> detect bad protocol. I'll have to do some research in this
> specific study, perhaps the discrediting went further than non
> replication.

Part of what I was looking for was whether there even was
a study that failed to replicate Targ-Puthoff's results.
I looked for some mention of such a study on the Web last
night and couldn't locate one, but it was a quick search,
so I could have missed it.

What I *did* find was an extensive essay analyzing James
Randi's chapter in "Flim-Flam" that supposedly debunked
Targ and Puthoff's work in many specific areas. That
analysis revealed all kinds of flaws in Randi's debunking,
including misleading statements, undocumented statements,
and possibly even knowingly false statements. The material
includes Randi's comments on the analysis, plus responses
to those comments, plus Randi's comments on the responses,
plus responses to *those* comments. Here's the bulk of it,
with links to the follow-ups:

http://michaelprescott.freeservers.com/FlimFlam.htm

Prescott isn't a scientist but a novelist who is
interested in the paranormal; Randi, of course, isn't
a scientist either. I was impressed by Prescott's
thoroughness and fairness, and his *genuine* skepticism,
his unwillingness to draw premature conclusions, either
about Targ and Puthoff or Randi.

Randi has done some excellent debunking work. He's also
done some very sloppy debunking work that doesn't hold
up to examination. IMHO, he isn't a genuine skeptic but
what I call a skeptopath. Reaching a predetermined
conclusion is more important to him than the validity of
the methodology by which he reaches it.

I don't know if Randi has actually claimed that Targ-
Puthoff's remote viewing studies have been "disproved."
I hope he's at least more careful than that. But the
folks to whom he is a hero tend to be a lot looser in
their use of terminology.

In any case, what I wanted to know in asking Xeno for
a cite was whether the "disproof" Xeno refers to had
involved Randi's work on Targ-Puthoff.

> I don't think this is the best angle on disproving the claim
> that it is in there.

Doesn't read to me as if it were being presented as "disproof"
of the claim. FWIW, I don't remember any remarks about remote
viewing in SBAL either, but if there is one, it's most likely
not very specific, so it might not stick in the mind.

> I hope someone checks my SOB is buried under books I am more
> likely to read.

Xeno made the claim; he ought to be able to say where he
found the reference.

> > You hate God and Maharishi. Period.
> > Whether you are correct or accountable in your endless
> > pursuits of putdowns does not matter the least.
>
> This is probably what caused me to post.  Although typical
> Nabbie I would like to make a case that this attitude does
> not serve your cause well.

What I want to know is, to whom was Nabby addressing this
remark? It appeared to be in response to my follow-up
post quoted immediately above it. That seems unlikely, but
it also seems unlikely with regard to either whynotnow or
Xeno, so I'm baffled.

I certainly intended no "putdown" of MMY or God (??). It
just isn't particularly interesting to me whether MMY
mentioned remote viewing in SBAL. But if we wanted to
indict MMY for having done so, we'd need to see whether
Targ-Puthoff's remote viewing studies had, in fact, been
debunked by the time SBAL was written.