<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > When listening to spiritual discourse in English, I have to
> > diligently allow the intellect to only touch and release the words
> > flowing by, not allowing it to do the pitbull routine on concepts. I
> > have to treat it as if I were listening to pandits chanting in
> > Sanskrit. Honestly, I couldn't give a recap of anything said during
> > the weekend satsang intensive with Krishna Gauci, but I know I got a
> > lot out of it because I would have physical shudders of recognition.
>
> It IS interesting to see this denoucing of intellect, given
> that "buddha," meaning "awakened
> one," is related to "buddhi," intellect...

Listening to words and pondering them intellectually
has never changed anyone spiritually.  However, with
some teachers the words can be "on top of" another
transmitted teaching that cannot be expressed in
words, but is highly transformative.  In such situ-
ations, to attempt to keep oneself at the surface
level of intellect is highly unproductive, and can
cause the student to miss the transmitted teaching.
I got the impression that this is the situaion Alex
was trying to convey.