--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> "Drive" is probably to violent for many FFL'ers but what a
> masterpiece!  And at that is it "very transcendental" with
> a lot of silence and slow moving.  The cast of Ryan Gosling,
> Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks (who plays a villain for a
> change), Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman deliver outstanding
> performances.  Director Nicolas Refn gets great performances
> even with actors who have minor roles including Christina
> Hendricks ("Mad Men"). Gosling plays a movie stunt driver
> who gets in trouble when he helps his neighbor. There are
> some pretty amazing car stunts in the film. This is a film
> in the style of the old Steve McQueen movies like "Getaway."
>
> I watched the film on Bluray which includes some interesting
> extras and an interview Refn.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

Glad to hear you liked it. It was one of my favorite
films of the year, and I thought it criminal that it
was snubbed in the Oscar nominations. Albert Brooks
certainly deserved one, as did in my opinion Gosling
for Best Actor and Refn for Best Director. "Drive"
was MUCH better than several of the films nominated
for Best Film.

Your description above may mislead some. He's a movie
stunt driver during the day. But at night he moonlights
as a getaway driver for hire. People hire him semi-
anonymously, and he gives them a five-minute window
during which he's "theirs," and he'll do everything
needed to help them get away. If they miss that five
minute window, he's outa there, and they're on their
own. The opening sequence, with him driving getaway
for such a job, is a masterpiece in my opinion. Even
the opening credits are wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKZyzmN6_Ak

The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX34ShfcsE

And then there's the elevator scene. That as much of
a cinema masterpiece IMO as Hitchcock's shower scene
in "Psycho." There's a clip of it on YouTube, but I
won't include it because some subtle sensibilities
here might be offended.